Delhi serial killer Chandrakant Jha sentenced to life in jail
New Delhi: A Sessions court here on Monday sentenced serial killer Chandrakant Jha to jail for entire life for murder and dumping a headless body near Tihar Jail.
Last month,Additional Sessions Judge (ASJ) Kamini Lau held 44-year-old Jha guilty of killing three persons in separate cases, relying on circumstantial and forensic evidence.
Jha faced trial for killing Amit, Upender and Dilip and dumping their headless bodies near Tihar Jail, the prosecutor had said after the last hearing. The prosecutor said Jha had even challenged the police by writing several letters to catch him.
While Amit was killed in 2006, Upender and Dilip were murdered by the convict in 2007.
The court, in its judgement, relied on various forensic evidence, including the views of the handwriting experts establishing the fact that the letters recovered near the bodies were written by Jha. The Delhi police had filed three separate charge sheets against Jha in the murder cases of Amit, Dilip and Upendra.
The police had said Jha had invited his victims to stay with him and took good care of them. After some time, he would get annoyed with them easily and took offence to their activities, it had said.
According to the police, Jha used to tie the hands and feet of the victims before strangulating them.
It had said Jha had murdered his associates -- Amit, Dilip and Upendra -- after taking offence to their "drinking, meat eating and womanising" activities. He was earlier arrested in 1998 in connection with a murder case but was acquitted for want of evidence.
In December 2007, a Delhi court had acquitted him after the police had failed to file charge sheet against him in an another murder case. According to the police, Jha was involved in atleast six murder cases.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Five nations pull out of SAARC Summit to express solidarity with India over Uri attack
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof