Delhi set to launch geo-spatial data project
New Delhi: Delhi Government is all set to
launch its ambitious IT project under which all underground
and overground assets like telephone lines, water pipes and
other public utilities have been mapped in three-dimensional
The Delhi Assembly today unanimously passed the
Geo-spatial Data Infrastructure (Management, Control,
Administration, Security and Safety) Bill which seeks to
ensure that each of the 30 selected agencies becomes the part
of the project.
Under the project, the government will soon unveil a
unique portal comprising images and digital details of all the
overground and underground utilities and it will be made
available to 30 departments of the city government.
The bill was moved by Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit in
the House on Monday.
Under the project, a common and integrated Geographic
Information System (GIS) will be made available to the
departments to design and implement various projects.
Dikshit said Bill aims at "creating, updating,
managing and sharing geo-spatial data and application among
various agencies which will serve as a base for planning and
execution of various projects by various departments.
Under the project it was conceived to have a common
and integrated Geographic Information System (GIS).
The Chief Minister stated that 30 agencies rendering
services of public utility have been brought under the ambit
of the project.
The Bill makes the utilisation and application of the
geo-spatial data compulsory and mandatory. In order to have
proper coordination the Bill envisages creation of a
Regulatory Authority headed by the Chief Secretary.
Officials had earlier said that the Delhi State
Spatial Data Infrastructure (DSSDI) project is one of its kind
in the entire world in which all the underground utilities in
the city are being mapped using state-of-art technology of
`ground probing radars`.
The portal is expected to help in ensuring a better
work culture in the capital city as all records and data will
be available on fingertips to effectively implement the
schemes and policies resulting in fulfilling aspirations of
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Meanwhile, Russian forces arrive in Pakistan for `Friendship 2016` joint military drill