Delhi sex workers demand protection from goons
New Delhi: The sex workers of the national
capital`s largest red light area GB Road will come on the
streets in the New Year to press for solution to their
security concerns and other welfare measures.
Raising the issue of exploitation by "goons" operating in
the area will be on top of their agenda other than
legalisation of the trade and better health services during
the demonstration they are planning in January.
The workers who live in inhuman and unhygienic conditions
in the dark and narrow lanes here are concerned about
increasing drug trade and looting of their clients by the
criminal elements operating in the area, an argument rejected
by Delhi Police.
"There are problems of drug trafficking, extortion and
looting of our clients. Criminals from neighbouring state and
from some areas in Delhi gather here every night and create
problems for our customers," said Shameem, a brothel owner.
However, police deny receiving any complaints from sex
workers. "We have stationed a picket in the red light area.
There is frequent movement of PCR vans and our personnel. We
have not received any complaints yet," said Deputy
Commissioner of Police (Central) Jaspal Singh.
There are about 116 brothels on the Garstin Bastion (GB)
Road in which about 5,000 women from across the country work.
A sex worker Kanta said "Police also threaten us since
prostitution is not legalised in our country."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- PM Narendra Modi ropes in Nandan Nilekani to boost process of digital payments post demonetisation