Delhi Shame: 77-year-old woman raped
New Delhi: A 77-year-old woman was raped
and beaten up by an unknown rickshaw puller in Outer Delhi, an
incident which exposed chinks in police`s claim of the capital
being safe for women.
The incident came to light in Outer Delhi`s Rohini
area, barely 200 metres from K N Katju Marg police station,
early this morning after a passerby found the victim in a
badly bruised condition.
A senior police official said they have rounded up
around 100 rickshaw pullers and were questioning them. The
victim is reportedly the wife of a former town planner.
According to the official, the victim had gone to her
sister`s residence in Rohini Sector 15 in the afternoon and
the incident took place when she was returning home in a cycle
"Usually the sister used to accompany her. However,
yesterday the victim was alone and struck a deal with a
rickshaw puller for Rs 25 for ferrying her to Sector 7 in
Rohini," the official said.
However, he said, the rickshaw puller took a different
route than the usual one she used to take and took her to the
Japanese Park area.
The official said the victim`s family had claimed that
the rickshaw puller suddenly overturned the rickshaw and
picked up an argument with her.
The victim then offered more money and asked him to
take her home faster. However, the official said, he allegedly
attacked her with a brick, made her smell some chemicals
following which she became semi-conscious and then he raped
The victim has two sons who started searching for her
around 9:30 pm after she did not reach home. "The two sons
thought she was with the other one. They approached police in
night," the official said.
The victim is undergoing treatment in a hospital and a
case of rape has been registered, the official said.
This incident came four days after a young girl was
shot dead outside her college by an alleged stalker and an
83-year-old woman strangled by two youths during a robbery at
Around 40 rape cases were reported in the capital this
year so far. The city has witnessed a sharp increase in rape
and molestation cases last year since 2007.
In 2010, the city witnessed 489 rape incidents,
including the infamous Dhaula Kuan rape and Mongolpuri, as
against 2009`s 459. The figures for 2006 was 609 followed by a
drop to 581 next year while in 2008 it further dipped to 466.
Almost similar was the case with molestation cases in
the capital in these years but it showed an increase this year
to 585 from last year`s 532. While 2008 had 597 cases, there
were 835 incidents in 2007 wand 713 in 609. In over 90 per
cent of such cases, the accused were known to victims.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list