Delhi shamed again; Eight men gang-rape minor, 3 arrested
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: In another horrendous incident in the national capital, eight men kidnapped and gang-raped a 13-year-old girl in East Delhi`s Shahdara, police said on Saturday.
The girl attempted suicide by consuming an overdose of sleeping pills on Saturday morning at her house in Farsh Bazar area in East Delhi.
She is admitted at the Hedgewar Hospital in East Delhi. "She is in serious condition," her mother told a news agency. She said that her daughter was upset after watching on TV reports of the brutal rape of the five-year-old girl in East Delhi.
The victim`s family has complained of police apathy in the case.
Four of the eight were known to the girl. According to reports, the Delhi police on Saturday arrested three men in connection with the case that has once again exposed how vulnerable women are in the capital.
The victim and her 12-year-old brother were abducted by two men known to her on March 15 from outside her house at Farsh Bazar area in East Delhi and taken to Loni in the city outskirts, where she was gang-raped by the eight, a police officer said. There six accomplices of the two abductors joined them and raped the girl in a house, a police officer said. The boy was released the next day.
Four of the eight accused were known to the girl, the officer added.
Police arrested three accused - Deepak, 21, Ranjeet (20) and Sohan Lal (24) - Saturday, following medical examination of the victim on April 15.
According to a police officer, the father approached police after she went missing, but did not file a rape complaint after she returned home.
But the girl`s family has alleged that police had refused to lodge their rape complaint.
A search is on to nab the other accused, the officer added.
Meanwhile, the girl`s family alleged that police had refused to lodge their complaint.
On March 24, the girl returned home and the family approached the police, the mother told a news agency.
Failing to get any response from police, the family approached the local court on April 09 which then ordered police to lodge a rape case.
Notably, Delhi is already on the edge in the wake of the recent case of rape of a five-year-old girl in Gandhi Nagar.
Delhi has seen 393 rapes in the first three months of the year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part II
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part III
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part IV
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Myanmar says UN chief to attend ethnic peace talks
- Chaos in Himachal Pradesh Assembly on 'fresh revelations' against CM Virbhadra Singh
- Samsung launches Tizen OS-based Z2 smartphone for Rs 4,590
- Ileana D'Cruz's monsoon skin ritual will help you get that perfect look!
- US soldier killed in anti-Taliban battle in Afghanistan