Delhi shelter homes to become all weather homes
New Delhi: The Delhi government has decided to convert the shelter homes, constructed last year to provide roof to homeless people in winter, into all-weather accommodation.
In the first phase, 30 homes out of 150 will be upgraded by next month so that homeless people can stay there throughout the year. The project is being implemented by Delhi Urban Shelter Improvement Board (DUSIB).
"Work on improving the shelter homes has already started and all of them are expected to be ready by June 15," CEO of DUSIB Chetan Sangbi said.
Apart from upgrading existing homes, a number of new facilities will be built for accommodating homeless children, women, physically challenged and people affected by substance abuse.
Sanghi said following a request by the DUSIB, the DDA has offered one plot at Narela and two plots at Rohini to build permanent shelter homes for the homeless people.
According to government figures, the city has around 60,000 homeless people. The shelter homes built by the government can accommodate around 14,000 people.
He said government has decided to provide electricity and water connections to all shelter homes. The possibility of providing health and educational facilities to the occupants of shelter homes is also being explored.
Two committees have been formed by DUSIB and Delhi government to improve the services in shelter homes with the help of all stakeholders including NGOs, Sanghi added.
A monitoring support committee has been set up to undertake an independent audit of the shelter homes.
The government had constructed 66 permanent shelter homes and 84 temporary homes last year to provide accommodation to the homeless people.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mumbai Film City shoot-out: CCTV footage help police arrest assailants
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- What couldn't be done in last 10 years, NDA govt did in one year: Smriti Irani in Amethi
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27