Delhi shelter homes to become all weather homes
New Delhi: The Delhi government has decided to convert the shelter homes, constructed last year to provide roof to homeless people in winter, into all-weather accommodation.
In the first phase, 30 homes out of 150 will be upgraded by next month so that homeless people can stay there throughout the year. The project is being implemented by Delhi Urban Shelter Improvement Board (DUSIB).
"Work on improving the shelter homes has already started and all of them are expected to be ready by June 15," CEO of DUSIB Chetan Sangbi said.
Apart from upgrading existing homes, a number of new facilities will be built for accommodating homeless children, women, physically challenged and people affected by substance abuse.
Sanghi said following a request by the DUSIB, the DDA has offered one plot at Narela and two plots at Rohini to build permanent shelter homes for the homeless people.
According to government figures, the city has around 60,000 homeless people. The shelter homes built by the government can accommodate around 14,000 people.
He said government has decided to provide electricity and water connections to all shelter homes. The possibility of providing health and educational facilities to the occupants of shelter homes is also being explored.
Two committees have been formed by DUSIB and Delhi government to improve the services in shelter homes with the help of all stakeholders including NGOs, Sanghi added.
A monitoring support committee has been set up to undertake an independent audit of the shelter homes.
The government had constructed 66 permanent shelter homes and 84 temporary homes last year to provide accommodation to the homeless people.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam