Delhi siblings’ murder case: Maternal uncle among 3 arrested
New Delhi: The Delhi police have arrested three men in kidnapping and murder of two minor siblings, police said on Sunday. Among those arrested is the maternal uncle of the children.
The duo had been missing from their school, Mother Convent School, in the Mandawali area of east Delhi since February 26 afternoon, and were found dead near a railway track in central Delhi, police said on Saturday.
The maternal uncle of the children, identified as Amit, and two other men, Pankaj and Shivam, have been arrested in the case.
Victims` father Manoj Kumar, who works in a share-brokerage firm, received about seven ransom calls demanding Rs 30 lakh after his school children went missing, a police officer said.
"The bodies of Mansij and his sister Yashvi, aged seven and five respectively, were recovered from near the railway track in front of Pragati Maidan power station at around 9.30 am on Saturday morning," a police officer said.
The bodies were decomposed and some parts seemed to have been bitten away by animals, police said.
"Their identification was done on the basis of their school dress," said an officer, adding that three people had been detained, he said.
Following the recovery of bodies, people staged a protest outside the Mandawali police station and demanded justice for the family and arrest of the accused.
DK Gupta, the additional deputy commissioner of police (East), tried to calm the agitating people and promised action in the case.
"Their mother would usually get the children back from school, but on that day (when children went missing) someone had locked her inside the house. After the door was opened by neighbours, she went to the school only to learn that a motorcycle-borne man had already taken the children," the minors` grandfather, Sundar Singh, told a news agency.
According to him, the children`s mother Yogita informed her husband Manoj Kumar about the incident.
Sundar Singh said that the first ransom call was received on Yogita`s mobile phone on Tuesday evening after the children went missing from the school.
"By Thursday night, the family received about seven phone calls from the abductors, demanding money for the release of the two children," Gupta said.
"The calls were made from separate local phone booths located around two kilometres of the house," he said.
The victims` family members alleged school`s negligence behind their abduction.
"Their mother used to pick them daily from the school for the past one year. But the school teachers handed over the children to a person, who was unknown," said Amit, an uncle of the siblings.
(With IANS inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow