Delhi sizzles at 44.9 degrees, hottest June 7 in five years
New Delhi: Hot winds and the a blistering sun continued to wreak havoc in the national capital on Saturday as the maximum temperature settled five notches above the season`s average at 44.9 degrees Celsius, making it the hottest June 7 in the last five years.
No relief is expected Sunday as the mercury is expected to touch 45 degrees Celsius, the Met Office said.
Roads wore a deserted look as traffic remained scarce during the day and Delhiites preferred to stay indoors.
Those who had no choice but to venture out covered themselves in scarves and gloves but got little respite from the scorching heat. Two-wheeler riders in particular had a miserable time.
The riders thronged roadside kiosks selling cold drinks, lemonade and ice-cream.
"I wore a scarf on my face and long cotton gloves to cover my arms from the harsh sun but it seemed the rays permeated through and burnt the skin," said Suraj Kumar, a delivery boy with a fast food chain.
According to the India Meteorological Department (IMD), there would be no respite Sunday as the maximum temperature is likely to hover around 45 degrees Celsius.
The minimum is expected to settle around 30 degrees Celsius.
"The sky will remain clear tomorrow (Sunday) and the heat wave will continue in the afternoon," said an IMD official.
Meanwhile, Saturday morning too was sunny and hot as the minimum temperature was recorded three notches above the season`s average at 30.8 degrees Celsius.
Friday was the hottest June 6 in the last five years as the maximum temperature settled at 45 degrees Celsius, five notches above the season`s average. The minimum temperature was recorded a notch above the season`s average at 29.4 degrees Celsius.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt