Delhi sizzles at 45 deg Celsius, hotter days ahead
New Delhi: The national capital is baking with temperatures hovering close to 45 degrees and the weatherman predicts hotter days this week.
The maximum temperature was recorded five notches above normal at 44.9 degrees Celsius on Wednesday at Safdarjung weather station, while the minimum was four degrees above normal at 30.3 deg C. The readings at Safdarjung station is taken as the official figures for the capital.
On Tuesday, the maximum had touched the highest for the season at 45.1 degree Celsius. The humidity level hovered between 18 and 40 per cent.
Meteorological Department predicted a clear sky on Thursday with maximum and minimum temperatures likely to be around 45 deg C and 31 deg C respectively.
The Weatherman has predicted that mercury is likely to "peak" on May 23 and 24. However, there could be some relief next week with the heatwave conditions abating in the capital.
"The maximum temperatures over the region including Delhi are likely to peak during 22-24th May. Therefore, the last three days (May 22, 23, 24) of the week long spell would be the hottest," a statement said.
But a western disturbance may bring down maximum temperature by 2 degree Celsius from May 26 onwards.
However, providing a glimmer of hope, the Met department also said that an approaching western disturbance is likely to break the anticyclone over the region and moderate the intensity of the hot air advection, thereby reducing the maximum temperature by about 2?C from May 26 onwards.
Thus, the coming week may mark a change from the present heat wave conditions prevailing over North West India including Delhi NCR," the statement said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- Hotels selling beef should be demolished: Azam Khan
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Russia surprises America with accord on battling ISIS
- Panel discussion on Muslim vote bank in Bihar elections
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Hindu girl embraces Islam to marry Shahi Imam Bukhari's son?
- Pakistan take note! Indian military 5th deadliest in the world
- Lalu Prasad Yadav debuts on Dubsmash, mocks PM Narendra Modi – Watch video
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack