Delhi sizzles at 45 deg Celsius, hotter days ahead
New Delhi: The national capital is baking with temperatures hovering close to 45 degrees and the weatherman predicts hotter days this week.
The maximum temperature was recorded five notches above normal at 44.9 degrees Celsius on Wednesday at Safdarjung weather station, while the minimum was four degrees above normal at 30.3 deg C. The readings at Safdarjung station is taken as the official figures for the capital.
On Tuesday, the maximum had touched the highest for the season at 45.1 degree Celsius. The humidity level hovered between 18 and 40 per cent.
Meteorological Department predicted a clear sky on Thursday with maximum and minimum temperatures likely to be around 45 deg C and 31 deg C respectively.
The Weatherman has predicted that mercury is likely to "peak" on May 23 and 24. However, there could be some relief next week with the heatwave conditions abating in the capital.
"The maximum temperatures over the region including Delhi are likely to peak during 22-24th May. Therefore, the last three days (May 22, 23, 24) of the week long spell would be the hottest," a statement said.
But a western disturbance may bring down maximum temperature by 2 degree Celsius from May 26 onwards.
However, providing a glimmer of hope, the Met department also said that an approaching western disturbance is likely to break the anticyclone over the region and moderate the intensity of the hot air advection, thereby reducing the maximum temperature by about 2?C from May 26 onwards.
Thus, the coming week may mark a change from the present heat wave conditions prevailing over North West India including Delhi NCR," the statement said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Shah Rukh Khan tweets about new ‘Dilwale’ song
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed