Delhi sizzles at 45 deg Celsius, hotter days ahead
New Delhi: The national capital is baking with temperatures hovering close to 45 degrees and the weatherman predicts hotter days this week.
The maximum temperature was recorded five notches above normal at 44.9 degrees Celsius on Wednesday at Safdarjung weather station, while the minimum was four degrees above normal at 30.3 deg C. The readings at Safdarjung station is taken as the official figures for the capital.
On Tuesday, the maximum had touched the highest for the season at 45.1 degree Celsius. The humidity level hovered between 18 and 40 per cent.
Meteorological Department predicted a clear sky on Thursday with maximum and minimum temperatures likely to be around 45 deg C and 31 deg C respectively.
The Weatherman has predicted that mercury is likely to "peak" on May 23 and 24. However, there could be some relief next week with the heatwave conditions abating in the capital.
"The maximum temperatures over the region including Delhi are likely to peak during 22-24th May. Therefore, the last three days (May 22, 23, 24) of the week long spell would be the hottest," a statement said.
But a western disturbance may bring down maximum temperature by 2 degree Celsius from May 26 onwards.
However, providing a glimmer of hope, the Met department also said that an approaching western disturbance is likely to break the anticyclone over the region and moderate the intensity of the hot air advection, thereby reducing the maximum temperature by about 2?C from May 26 onwards.
Thus, the coming week may mark a change from the present heat wave conditions prevailing over North West India including Delhi NCR," the statement said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'