Delhi slum dwellers to get flats
New Delhi: In a relief to slum dwellers, the
Delhi government on Monday decided to give ownership rights of
flats given to them through a central city modernisation
scheme after the 15-year lease period.
The decision was taken at a meeting of the Delhi Cabinet
chaired by Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit here.
She said the Cabinet approved certain amendments in
guidelines for allotment of flats constructed under
Jawaharlal Nehru National Urban Renewal Mission (JNNURM) for
eligible slum dwellers in Delhi to facilitate grant of
ownership rights to the allottees.
"This decision has been taken in the interest of giving
ownership rights to slum dwellers and put an end to the
existing practice of resale, depriving the real beneficiaries
of their rights," Dikshit said.
She said the government has been trying to enhance the
number of eligible slum dwellers for allotment of flats under
Rajiv Ratna Awas Yojna for which frequent amendments in
guidelines for allotment have been effected.
With the help of Delhi Urban Shelter Improvement Board,
she said a number of slum clusters have been prioritised for
relocation of slum dwellers and allotment of flats to eligible
"Around 1,300 slum dwellers have been found to be eligible
and the process of identification is in full swing," she said
adding efforts would be made to provide bank loans to the
"Eligible beneficiaries will be identified through
bio-metric and UID mechanism at the time of allotment and once
in a year thereafter. This will help in allotment to actual
beneficiaries," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Meet Lynlee Hope - Texas baby who was 'born' twice!
- Intelligence agencies warn of firing by Pakistan along LoC, international border
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Diwali 2016: Dhanteras Puja timings, Tithi and Vidhi
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon