Delhi slum dwellers to get flats
New Delhi: In a relief to slum dwellers, the
Delhi government on Monday decided to give ownership rights of
flats given to them through a central city modernisation
scheme after the 15-year lease period.
The decision was taken at a meeting of the Delhi Cabinet
chaired by Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit here.
She said the Cabinet approved certain amendments in
guidelines for allotment of flats constructed under
Jawaharlal Nehru National Urban Renewal Mission (JNNURM) for
eligible slum dwellers in Delhi to facilitate grant of
ownership rights to the allottees.
"This decision has been taken in the interest of giving
ownership rights to slum dwellers and put an end to the
existing practice of resale, depriving the real beneficiaries
of their rights," Dikshit said.
She said the government has been trying to enhance the
number of eligible slum dwellers for allotment of flats under
Rajiv Ratna Awas Yojna for which frequent amendments in
guidelines for allotment have been effected.
With the help of Delhi Urban Shelter Improvement Board,
she said a number of slum clusters have been prioritised for
relocation of slum dwellers and allotment of flats to eligible
"Around 1,300 slum dwellers have been found to be eligible
and the process of identification is in full swing," she said
adding efforts would be made to provide bank loans to the
"Eligible beneficiaries will be identified through
bio-metric and UID mechanism at the time of allotment and once
in a year thereafter. This will help in allotment to actual
beneficiaries," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Salman Khan's `Bajrangi Bhaijaan` teaser to be out in two days?