Delhi swelters, monsoon likely after July 3
New Delhi: Hot and sultry weather conditions may continue in the national capital for a few more days as the weather office forecast light rains on Monday evening. "Monsoon is likely to arrive in the capital any day after July 3," an Indian Meteorological Department official said.
Monsoon rains were expected in Delhi by June 29, but wind conditions over Uttar Pradesh have delayed its advancement, the official added.
The week began on a sweltering note on Monday with the minimum temperature settling five notches above the season`s average at 32 degrees Celsius. However, the weather office has forecast some respite with light rains on Monday evening.
"Sky will be clear during the day but towards evening it will become partly cloudy. Thunder storms and light rains are expected," the official said.
The maximum temperature is likely to hover around the 43 degrees Celsius mark, added the IMD official.
The maximum humidity at 8.30 am was 67 percent.
Sunday`s maximum temperature was seven notches above average at 43.2 degree Celsius, while the minimum temperature was four notches above average at 31.4 degrees Celsius.
Hot and oppressive weather conditions have forced the Delhi government to extend summer vacations in its schools by a week till July 9.
The parents and students have welcomed the decision.
"These hot and sultry weather conditions are a recipe for falling ill. It is good that we don`t have to send our children to school for another week," says Ayesha, whose four-year-old daughter goes to a south Delhi school.
Several private schools have also decided to follow the government direction.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Till when will Kerala suffer violence in the name of politics?
- Till when will Kerala suffer violence in the name of politics? - Part II
- Till when will Kerala suffer violence in the name of politics? - Part III
- Till when will Kerala suffer violence in the name of politics? - Part IV
- Why is Mehbooba Mufti attacking Hindu beliefs for votes?
- Understanding Olympics qualification: How MC Mary Kom can still go to Rio 2016, with some luck
- Indian Premier League 2016: Kolkata Knight Riders beat Sunrisers Hyderabad by 22 runs, march into playoffs
- Three men held for attacking BJP MP Tarun Vijay
- Internet services suspended in Kupwara in wake of encounter
- Submarine deployed to find crashed jet's black boxes: Egypt PM