New Delhi: A class 12 student was critically injured Saturday when two iron rods pierced through his hip when he accidentally fell from the second floor of his under construction house, police said.
Police, with the help of gas cutters, managed to cut the iron rods and rushed him to the hospital where his condition is critical.
The incident occurred in east Delhi`s Ghazipur area around 2 p.m. when Arijit Chatterjee, who studies in Salwan Public School, was standing at the terrace of his under construction house and fell.
A family member spotted him and informed neighbours and police.
Police reached the spot and took half an hour to extricate him.
"We first took him to the Lal Bahadur Shastri hospital from where doctors referred him to the Noida`s Kailash hospital. His condition is critical," a police officer told IANS.
Arijit`s parents told police that he was sunning himself. Police suspected that he fainted and fell.
In a similar incident d in Nodia Friday, 35-year-old labourer Raju was injured after a part of iron rod pierced his abdomen. He underwent emergency surgery at All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS) here but is still critical.
AIIMS spokesperson Amit Gupta said Raju was admitted Friday a few hours after the incident, where one feet iron rod pierced his abdomen.
"After surgery, the rod has been taken out. His condition is critical but stable," he said.
Raju`s friend told IANS that the accident happened when he accidentally fell from a truck while unloading the iron rods.