Delhi to have extended winter chill
New Delhi: Chilly and cloudy weather will persist in the coming week in Delhi but no rain is predicted for the next three days, a Met official said Sunday.
"There was snowfall in the mountains and rain in the plains since Friday. Delhi witnessed light rain and thunderstorms since Friday till Sunday morning. But from Monday till Wednesday, there will be no rain and day temperatures might rise in Delhi," LS Rathore, director general, India Meteorological Department (IMD), told IANS.
"Rain and thunderstorms were due to western disturbance. A cyclonic circulation has formed over Rajasthan. There is high moisture incursion from the Arabian Sea and the Bay of Bengal over northwest, central and east India," Rathore said.
Western disturbance is a meteorological term used to describe a low-pressure system, or estratropical storm originating in the Mediterranean region that moves eastwards and brings on sudden rainfall or snow to the northwestern parts of the Indian subcontinent.
Thundershowers would also occur in Bihar, Vidarbha, Chhattisgarh, Jharkhand, Odisha, West Bengal, Sikkim, Arunachal Pradesh, Assam and Meghalaya.
"The next three days will be clear in Delhi, Punjab, Haryana and Uttar Pradesh. Another western disturbance Feb 21 will bring back light rain and thunderstorms for two or three days. Jammu and Kashmir, Himachal Pradesh and Uttarakhand will witness fresh snowfall," Rathore said.
According to the IMD, Delhi received 2.1 mm of rainfall Sunday 8:30 a.m to 5.30 p.m.
The maximum temperature settled at 19.5 degrees Celsius, five notches below the average for this time of the season. Monday`s maximum and minimum temperatures are expected to hover around 21 and 10 degrees Celsius respectively.
Sunday morning was nippy, but the minimum temperature settled a notch above average at 12 degrees Celsius.
Saturday`s maximum temperature fell eight notches below average to 16.1 degrees Celsius, while the minimum temperature was 13.7 degrees, three notches above average.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Asaduddin Owaisi's brother Akbaruddin in trouble over poll speech, arrest warrant issued