Delhi to have nine courts to try criminal cases
New Delhi: In a move that could ease burden
of criminal cases, the Delhi Assembly today passed a bill paving way for setting up of nine district courts to try criminal offences.
The Assembly unanimously passed the Code of Criminal
Procedure (Delhi Amendment) Bill, 2011 which seeks to divide
Delhi into nine metropolitan areas which is at present
considered as one single metropolitan area in relation to
Although the city has nine district courts for civil
cases, it currently has only Tis Hazari district court for
criminal cases as the entire city was defined as one metropolitan area as per Code of Criminal Procedure 1973.
At present, Delhi, being a single metropolitan area, has
one chief metropolitan magistrate`s court and four additional
Tabling the bill, Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit said now
it is proposed to divide Delhi into nine metropolitan areas
corresponding to the nine proposed sessions divisions.
She said each metropolitan area will have a chief
metropolitan magistrate assisted by an additional chief
Following notification of the legislation, the government
would be able to declare a district or area having a
population of more than 10 lakh as a metropolitan area which
will allow it to set up metropolitan courts for criminal
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video