Delhi tops in rape cases among metros
New Delhi: The national capital has topped in registration of rape cases among six metros in the country with over 450 such incidents reported last year alone.
A total of 453 rape cases were registered in Delhi followed by 221 in Mumbai, 97 in Bengaluru, 76 in Chennai, 59 in Hyderabad and 46 in Kolkata in 2011, according to a Home Ministry data.
As many as 414 and 404 cases of rape were registered in Delhi during 2010 and 2009 respectively.
In 2010, Mumbai Police registered 194 rape cases, Bengaluru Police 65, Chennai and Hyderabad Police 47 each while 32 cases were registered in Kolkata, the data said.
During 2009, 182 rape cases were registered in Mumbai, 65 in Bengaluru, 47 in Hyderabad, 42 in Kolkata and 39 in Chennai, it said.
Delhi has also earned a dubious distinction in terms of molestation cases as over 556 such incidents, the highest in six metro cities, were reported last year.
The national capital registered 550 and 491 cases in 2010 and 2009 respectively, the Home Ministry data said.
Mumbai is not far behind as 553 cases of molestation under the Indian Penal Code were registered by the police last year as against 475 in 2010 and 400 in 2009.
Kolkata Police registered 254 cases of molestation in 2011, 226 in 2010 and 201 in 2009.
A total of 250 molestation cases were registered in Bengaluru, 157 in Hyderabad and 73 in Chennai last year.
However, Mumbai reported a highest number of 162 cases
of sexual harassment followed by 149 in Delhi, 144 in Kolkata, 121 in Chennai, 93 in Hyderabad and 40 in Bengaluru last year.
According to the Home Ministry data, Delhi registered 47,212 cognizable crimes under IPC including murder, dowry deaths, arson, burglary and kidnapping in 2011 followed by 32,647 cases in Mumbai and 30,283 in Bengaluru.
Delhi Police registered 115 cases of dowry deaths last year, 112 in 2010 and 104 in 2009, the data said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of India's weaknesses in new inventions and discoveries
- DNA: Prasoon Joshi's hard-hitting poem depicting society's mentality towards females
- DNA: Encouraging the traditional Indian habit of eating food with hands
- DNA: Today in History | 25th August, 2016
- Are festivals and other social fete being manipulated for political benefits?
- Ronaldo beats Bale, Griezmann to win second UEFA Best Player in Europe Award
- After tribal's walk with wife's body, Odisha launches hearse scheme
- PM Modi pips Amitabh Bachchan, becomes most followed Indian on Twitter
- Tips to treat minor burns at home!
- UEFA Champions League draw: Barca reunion for Guardiola, Madrid get Dortmund, Arsenal pair PSG