Delhi tops in rape cases among metros
New Delhi: The national capital has topped in registration of rape cases among six metros in the country with over 450 such incidents reported last year alone.
A total of 453 rape cases were registered in Delhi followed by 221 in Mumbai, 97 in Bengaluru, 76 in Chennai, 59 in Hyderabad and 46 in Kolkata in 2011, according to a Home Ministry data.
As many as 414 and 404 cases of rape were registered in Delhi during 2010 and 2009 respectively.
In 2010, Mumbai Police registered 194 rape cases, Bengaluru Police 65, Chennai and Hyderabad Police 47 each while 32 cases were registered in Kolkata, the data said.
During 2009, 182 rape cases were registered in Mumbai, 65 in Bengaluru, 47 in Hyderabad, 42 in Kolkata and 39 in Chennai, it said.
Delhi has also earned a dubious distinction in terms of molestation cases as over 556 such incidents, the highest in six metro cities, were reported last year.
The national capital registered 550 and 491 cases in 2010 and 2009 respectively, the Home Ministry data said.
Mumbai is not far behind as 553 cases of molestation under the Indian Penal Code were registered by the police last year as against 475 in 2010 and 400 in 2009.
Kolkata Police registered 254 cases of molestation in 2011, 226 in 2010 and 201 in 2009.
A total of 250 molestation cases were registered in Bengaluru, 157 in Hyderabad and 73 in Chennai last year.
However, Mumbai reported a highest number of 162 cases
of sexual harassment followed by 149 in Delhi, 144 in Kolkata, 121 in Chennai, 93 in Hyderabad and 40 in Bengaluru last year.
According to the Home Ministry data, Delhi registered 47,212 cognizable crimes under IPC including murder, dowry deaths, arson, burglary and kidnapping in 2011 followed by 32,647 cases in Mumbai and 30,283 in Bengaluru.
Delhi Police registered 115 cases of dowry deaths last year, 112 in 2010 and 104 in 2009, the data said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks