Delhi Traffic Police constable`s death: LG grants Rs 1 crore as compensation
Zee Media Bureau/Sushmita Dutta
New Delhi: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung on Tuesday announced an exceptional amount of Rs 1 crore as financial assistance to the family of Delhi Police traffic constable Mana Ram, who was run over by a car after a heated argument with the driver while on duty in the national capital.
Although no compensation can replace the loss, the announcement may have come as a big support for the deceased cop`s family as Mana was the only support of his father.
However, a compensation of Rs 10 lakh was earlier announced for Mana Ram`s family, reports said.
Earlier in the day today, AAP chief Arvind Kejriwal had requested Najeeb Jung to give Rs 1 crore as compensation to the family of Mana Ram.
In his letter, he had also written that when the AAP government was in power here, it had given Rs 1 crore to the family of a constable killed by the water mafia while on duty.
In a barbaric incident of road rage, the 25-year-old traffic constable was crushed to death on Saturday evening when he tried to divert a car from driving on a flyover closed for four-wheelers.
Reportedly, Mana Ram was mowed down by the accused, Raman Kant, 26, in Moti Nagar area here, when the constable jumped on the car bonnet to stop the driver. Ram was then dragged for 150 meters, before being thrown off and coming under the car`s wheels.
Soon after the incident, Mana Ram was rushed to a nearby hospital, but was declared brought dead.
Later, the accused and two juveniles who were inside the car when the incident happened were apprehended by the cops.
Ram was given a solemn farewell by the Delhi Police at the Todapur Police Lines. Ram`s father, Gehna Ram, along with the Commissioner of Police BS Bassi and Ram`s colleagues, laid wreaths on his coffin.
Meanwhile, Delhi Police have constituted a Special Investigation Team (SIT) to probe the murder of constable Mana Ram.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof