Delhi Traffic Police constable`s death: LG grants Rs 1 crore as compensation
Zee Media Bureau/Sushmita Dutta
New Delhi: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung on Tuesday announced an exceptional amount of Rs 1 crore as financial assistance to the family of Delhi Police traffic constable Mana Ram, who was run over by a car after a heated argument with the driver while on duty in the national capital.
Although no compensation can replace the loss, the announcement may have come as a big support for the deceased cop`s family as Mana was the only support of his father.
However, a compensation of Rs 10 lakh was earlier announced for Mana Ram`s family, reports said.
Earlier in the day today, AAP chief Arvind Kejriwal had requested Najeeb Jung to give Rs 1 crore as compensation to the family of Mana Ram.
In his letter, he had also written that when the AAP government was in power here, it had given Rs 1 crore to the family of a constable killed by the water mafia while on duty.
In a barbaric incident of road rage, the 25-year-old traffic constable was crushed to death on Saturday evening when he tried to divert a car from driving on a flyover closed for four-wheelers.
Reportedly, Mana Ram was mowed down by the accused, Raman Kant, 26, in Moti Nagar area here, when the constable jumped on the car bonnet to stop the driver. Ram was then dragged for 150 meters, before being thrown off and coming under the car`s wheels.
Soon after the incident, Mana Ram was rushed to a nearby hospital, but was declared brought dead.
Later, the accused and two juveniles who were inside the car when the incident happened were apprehended by the cops.
Ram was given a solemn farewell by the Delhi Police at the Todapur Police Lines. Ram`s father, Gehna Ram, along with the Commissioner of Police BS Bassi and Ram`s colleagues, laid wreaths on his coffin.
Meanwhile, Delhi Police have constituted a Special Investigation Team (SIT) to probe the murder of constable Mana Ram.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand