Delhi Traffic Police constable`s death: LG grants Rs 1 crore as compensation
Zee Media Bureau/Sushmita Dutta
New Delhi: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung on Tuesday announced an exceptional amount of Rs 1 crore as financial assistance to the family of Delhi Police traffic constable Mana Ram, who was run over by a car after a heated argument with the driver while on duty in the national capital.
Although no compensation can replace the loss, the announcement may have come as a big support for the deceased cop`s family as Mana was the only support of his father.
However, a compensation of Rs 10 lakh was earlier announced for Mana Ram`s family, reports said.
Earlier in the day today, AAP chief Arvind Kejriwal had requested Najeeb Jung to give Rs 1 crore as compensation to the family of Mana Ram.
In his letter, he had also written that when the AAP government was in power here, it had given Rs 1 crore to the family of a constable killed by the water mafia while on duty.
In a barbaric incident of road rage, the 25-year-old traffic constable was crushed to death on Saturday evening when he tried to divert a car from driving on a flyover closed for four-wheelers.
Reportedly, Mana Ram was mowed down by the accused, Raman Kant, 26, in Moti Nagar area here, when the constable jumped on the car bonnet to stop the driver. Ram was then dragged for 150 meters, before being thrown off and coming under the car`s wheels.
Soon after the incident, Mana Ram was rushed to a nearby hospital, but was declared brought dead.
Later, the accused and two juveniles who were inside the car when the incident happened were apprehended by the cops.
Ram was given a solemn farewell by the Delhi Police at the Todapur Police Lines. Ram`s father, Gehna Ram, along with the Commissioner of Police BS Bassi and Ram`s colleagues, laid wreaths on his coffin.
Meanwhile, Delhi Police have constituted a Special Investigation Team (SIT) to probe the murder of constable Mana Ram.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 1 billion reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- China ship carrying 458 on board sinks in Yangtze River: Five dead, hundreds missing