Delhi Transport Secretary shifted
New Delhi: Delhi government Wednesday removed its Transport Secretary Rajendra Kumar in the wake of sharp criticism for its alleged failure to regulate public transport in the city.
Following December 16 gang-rape incident, in which a 23-year-old girl was sexually assaulted and brutally killed in a moving bus, there were demands to regulate the public transport in the national capital. The bus did not have the permit to ply on the road.
Kumar, a 1989 batch IAS officer, has been posted as Secretary Higher Education and Puneet Goel is the new Transport Secretary.
Unhappy with the functioning of the Transport department,
Lt Governor Tejendra Khanna had earlier this month directed Delhi government to take steps like installing CCTV cameras and GPS devices in all public buses.
Khanna had also asked the government to issue Public Service Badges in the form of photo identity card to drivers of all types of public utility vehicles including government and private buses, taxis, auto-rickshaws and radio taxis after proper verification and clearance by police.
At a meeting, earlier this month, Delhi Police had also conveyed to higher authorities that "slack" rules and regulations by the Transport department of Delhi government were hindering in effective policing.
Apart from reshuffle in transport department, the government has also divested of senior IAS officer Rakesh Bihari from the post of CMD, DSIIDC.
Also Finance Secretary Shakti Sinha, who was also holding additional charge of Principal Secretary Industries Department has been relieved from the additional responsibility.
Amit Yadav has been made Principal Secretary of Industries Department.
As per the government order, Chief Secretary D M Spolia will hold the additional charge of Principal Secretary, Urban Development, while Deputy Commissioner of New Delhi Neela Mohan has been appointed as Special Secretary to the Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- India's Balochistan push works, European Parliament warns Pakistan of sanctions over atrocities on Balochi people
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray