Delhi Transport Secretary shifted
New Delhi: Delhi government Wednesday removed its Transport Secretary Rajendra Kumar in the wake of sharp criticism for its alleged failure to regulate public transport in the city.
Following December 16 gang-rape incident, in which a 23-year-old girl was sexually assaulted and brutally killed in a moving bus, there were demands to regulate the public transport in the national capital. The bus did not have the permit to ply on the road.
Kumar, a 1989 batch IAS officer, has been posted as Secretary Higher Education and Puneet Goel is the new Transport Secretary.
Unhappy with the functioning of the Transport department,
Lt Governor Tejendra Khanna had earlier this month directed Delhi government to take steps like installing CCTV cameras and GPS devices in all public buses.
Khanna had also asked the government to issue Public Service Badges in the form of photo identity card to drivers of all types of public utility vehicles including government and private buses, taxis, auto-rickshaws and radio taxis after proper verification and clearance by police.
At a meeting, earlier this month, Delhi Police had also conveyed to higher authorities that "slack" rules and regulations by the Transport department of Delhi government were hindering in effective policing.
Apart from reshuffle in transport department, the government has also divested of senior IAS officer Rakesh Bihari from the post of CMD, DSIIDC.
Also Finance Secretary Shakti Sinha, who was also holding additional charge of Principal Secretary Industries Department has been relieved from the additional responsibility.
Amit Yadav has been made Principal Secretary of Industries Department.
As per the government order, Chief Secretary D M Spolia will hold the additional charge of Principal Secretary, Urban Development, while Deputy Commissioner of New Delhi Neela Mohan has been appointed as Special Secretary to the Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing