Delhi: Two betting rackets busted, 8 held
New Delhi: Delhi Police Friday claimed to
have smashed two rackets allegedly involved in betting during the Asia Cup cricket final between Bangladesh and Pakistan and arrested eight persons in this connection.
Three persons were apprehended from Pul Prahladpur in
south-East Delhi while five members of another gang were
nabbed from Paharganj yesterday when the match was in
Acting on a tip off, Virender Singh (38), Sombir Singh
(27) and Tushar (28) were arrested from Pul Prahladpur and a
laptop and TV and five mobile phones were recovered from them,
Ajay Chaudhury, Additional Commissioner of Police
"The modus operandi of the betting was that the rate of
the odds between the two cricket playing teams is originated
from outside India. On the basis of that, the bets are taken
during the match. After the match is over profit and loses are
calculated by specifically generated software known as "Back
`N` Lay Professional".
"The rates keep fluctuating with the fall of wickets and
the runs scored. The laptop is used by them for data entry
management. The mobile phones are used for getting the rates
of the odds on the match and for taking bets from the punters.
The recording facility on the mobile phone is used for keeping
records of the bets placed by the punters," Chaudhury said.
In the second case, Om Parkash (40), Mohit Sharma (24),
Rahul Gupta (31), Naresh Kumar (32) and Satish Singh (25) were
arrested from Paharganj.
Nineteen mobile phones, two laptops, one TV and three notebooks were recovered from them.
"Om Parkash told us that about two months back, he had met one Neeraj Jain who offered him to assist him in his
betting. Jain is a big `satta` (betting) operator and introduced him to one Rahul Gupta mentioning that he will
provide the rates from Mumbai.
"Further, they also convinced him that entire operation
is done through mobile phones and chances of getting trapped
by police is minimal," DC Srivastava, Additional Commissioner
of Police (Central), said.
- Discussion on Rahul Gandhi's involvement in AgustaWestland chopper scam
- Discussion on Rahul Gandhi's involvement in AgustaWestland chopper scam - Part II
- Discussion on Rahul Gandhi's involvement in AgustaWestland chopper scam -Part III
- Discussion on Rahul Gandhi's involvement in AgustaWestland chopper scam - Part IV
- DNA : Why BJP is linking Rahul Gandhi to AgustaWestland scam
- Kerala law student rape and murder: Three detained by police
- WATCH: SHOCKING! When Ashish Nehra abused Mahendra Singh Dhoni for dropping Shahid Afridi's catch
- 58 weightlifters caught for doping last year: Sports Minister Sarbananda Sonowal
- PM Modi wants BJP MPs, ministers to highlight govt's schemes like LPG coverage, electrification of villages
- Tibet govt-in-exile in Dharamsala unpopular among Tibetans: China