New Delhi: In a relief to over 2.7 lakh students, Delhi University will finally come out with its first cut-off list tomorrow for admissions to the courses under the three-year format. A week behind schedule due to the row over controversial four-year undergraduate programme (FYUP), admissions to DU`s academic session 2014-15 will begin on Tuesday.
The first cut-off list will come out on late Monday based on which students can take admission till July 3. Offices of various colleges were buzzing with activity on a Sunday as they worked on to make the transition from FYUP to the three-year programme smooth.
"We have our team working on various aspects of the admission process such as making changes to the website, prospectus besides issuing fresh guidelines to officials," S K Garg, President of DU Principals` Association, said.
When asked if a sudden switch from FYUP to three-year format was proving tricky, Garg said the old structure had been in place earlier and it was something they were used to.
"How difficult can it be? There needs to some changes in the documents but it is a format we had been following all these years," said Garg, who is principal of Deen Dayal Upadhyaya College.
Agreeing with Garg, Principals` Association Secretary S N Lakshmi said, "The three-year structure was being followed even when FYUP was in place. The outgoing third year students and the ones in second year have studied the old courses. So it should hardly be an issue."
Over 2.7 lakh students had applied for admission to DU under the now scrapped FYUP to more than 54,000 seats in 64 colleges of the varsity. The admissions were earlier to take place on June 24.
With 2012-13 admission procedure being followed, the cut-off list will no more have B.Tech and Bachelor Management Studies (BMS) courses, which have been discontinued.
The admission to BBS and BA Hons (Business Economics) would be held on the basis of the criteria already announced for BMS admission 2014-15.
Yesterday, DU announced fresh guidelines according to which students who have registered for the current academic year will be eligible for admission to all courses wherever they meet the criteria.
Giving another chance to those students who had missed the deadline to fill application forms, the varsity has allowed them to take admission by filling the university registration form along with the college admission form.
Additional eligibility criteria by colleges, which had been done away with making admission rules uniform for all, has been brought back. College officials and principals are expected to decide tomorrow on the riders they want to put for admission to various courses.
The guidelines were formulated by a 12-member committee of principals which were then approved by VC Dinesh Singh.
Under pressure from UGC to act on its directive, DU on Friday last scrapped FYUP and reverted to the previous 3-year structure.