`Delhi varsities asked to prevent harassment of NE students`
New Delhi: All Delhi-based universities have been directed to ensure that discrimination and harassment against Northeast students are prevented in their campuses, the government said today.
"The HRD Ministry has also written to the universities in Delhi to ensure that discrimination and harassment is prevented," Minister of State in the Ministry D Purandeswari said, adding that the varsities have also been asked to provide a congenial atmosphere for these students.
In a written reply in Rajya Sabha, she said a proposal for stating a helpline number exclusively for students from Northeast region is under consideration of the UGC.
On May 22 this year, the Ministry had held a meeting with the Delhi Police Commissioner along with other senior officials and representatives of the Northeast states to discuss initiatives to control harassment in higher educational institutes.
The Minister said following the meeting it was decided that the Police Commissioner or a senior officer nominated by him would meet members of the Northeast community once every three-month and nodal officers would interact with students and employees to resolve their problems.
The representatives of Northeast states will also form a body and convey names, addresses and telephone numbers of their members for facilitating interaction with police.
Besides, junior police officers posted in localities having sizeable Northeast population will undergo a sensitisation programme with the help of members from Northeast community, the Minister said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price