Delhi wakes up to rainy Tuesday
New Delhi: It was a cool Tuesday in Delhi with rains lashing many parts of the city and the weather office predicting thundershowers through the day.
Delhi received 14.4 mm of rainfall from Monday to 8.30 a.m. Tuesday, said an official of the India Meteorological Department.
"Skies will remain cloudy with the possibility of one or two spells of thundershowers," he said.
The minimum temperature settled at 25.6 degrees Celsius, 1.4 notches above average. The maximum temperature was expected to hover around 35 degrees, the official said.
The rains started in the capital Monday night, eight days after the advent of monsoon July 5.
"The rains began in Delhi July 5. On July 7, there was heavy rain. But then the rain stopped from July 8. The showers started again Monday night," the official said.
The national capital has received 174 mm of rain from July 5 to Monday, almost 90 percent more than the average for this time of the year.
The maximum humidity was recorded at 97 percent and the minimum humidity was 52 percent.
Overnight rains created traffic chaos in many parts of the National Capital Region, including Udyog Vihar and Shankar Chowk in Gurgaon.
In Delhi, Badarpur Road and Sangam Vihar were flooded with rain water. Traffic slowed down in Dhaula Kaun and on the Mehrauli-Gurgaon road as well.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- LIVE: Jallikattu Bill passed unanimously in state Assembly; violence rocks Tamil Nadu
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog