Delhi wakes up to rainy Tuesday
New Delhi: It was a cool Tuesday in Delhi with rains lashing many parts of the city and the weather office predicting thundershowers through the day.
Delhi received 14.4 mm of rainfall from Monday to 8.30 a.m. Tuesday, said an official of the India Meteorological Department.
"Skies will remain cloudy with the possibility of one or two spells of thundershowers," he said.
The minimum temperature settled at 25.6 degrees Celsius, 1.4 notches above average. The maximum temperature was expected to hover around 35 degrees, the official said.
The rains started in the capital Monday night, eight days after the advent of monsoon July 5.
"The rains began in Delhi July 5. On July 7, there was heavy rain. But then the rain stopped from July 8. The showers started again Monday night," the official said.
The national capital has received 174 mm of rain from July 5 to Monday, almost 90 percent more than the average for this time of the year.
The maximum humidity was recorded at 97 percent and the minimum humidity was 52 percent.
Overnight rains created traffic chaos in many parts of the National Capital Region, including Udyog Vihar and Shankar Chowk in Gurgaon.
In Delhi, Badarpur Road and Sangam Vihar were flooded with rain water. Traffic slowed down in Dhaula Kaun and on the Mehrauli-Gurgaon road as well.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22