Delhi water undrinkable: MCD
New Delhi: Eighteen percent of water
supplied by the Delhi Jal Board is unfit for drinking and
every fifth person in the city is consuming contaminated
water, the Municipal Corporation of Delhi`s Public Health
Committee revealed on Thursday.
At a time when 60 percent of the households in Delhi
consume Delhi Jal Board water, it comes as a surprise that 18
per cent of water supplied is polluted as it contained
This came to light after the MCD`s Public Health
Committee carried out a test of samples of Jal Board Water.
"Consuming contaminated water can cause water-borne
diseases like cholera, gastroenteritis, typhoid, jaundice
among others. We wanted to find if the water supplied by Delhi
Jal Board was drinkable or not and as such 616 samples were
lifted from various corners of Delhi. Of these 111 samples
were found to contain fecal contamination," Dr VK Mongia,
chairman, MCD health committee said.
"The colony count ie measurement of the growth of
bacteria in a water sample revealed that every 100ml sample of
water contained more than 10 bacteria most of them because of
fecal contamination. By all standards such water is unfit for
for consumption," he said.
The samples were collected between January to February
2011 and were tested by the Public Health Laboratory of MCD.
BJP president Vijender Gupta today asked the
government to look into the matter. He also said that it was a
criminal offence on the part of the government as no concrete
step has been taken yet.
Monga pointed out that the feces from the sewerage
mixes with most of the waters that is being supplied in Delhi
that led to such contamination.
"Water contamination happens because of interrupted
water supply, corroded water pipes, mixing of sewer plant pipe
lines and water pipe lines," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks