Delhi witnesses hottest day of August in last 12 years
New Delhi: The national capital on Monday witnessed the hottest day of August in the last 12 years as mercury breached the 39 degree Celsius mark.
The maximum temperature was recorded at 39.1 degree Celsius at Safdarjung observatory, considered the official reading for the city. It was five notches above the season`s average making it the hottest August since 2002.
At Palam, mercury touched at 40.7 degree Celsius, making it the hottest place of the city. Apart from Palam, Ridge, Ayanagar and Najafgarh also recorded above 40 degrees Celsius.
According to the MeT officials, there would be no relief from scorching heat for the next 2-3 days and temperature may rise further in the absence of rains.
Dellhiites felt the scorching heat as they stepped out on the streets today with the sun beating down.
The minimum temperature was recorded at 27.5 degrees Celsius, a notch above the normal. The humidity level hovered between 74 and 40 per cent.
The MeT department has predicted a clear sky for tomorrow.
"There would be no relief for the next 2-3 days and temperature may rise further in the absence of rains. It will be a mainly clear sky tomorrow.
"The maximum and minimum temperatures are expected to be 39 and 28 degrees respectively," said the weatherman.
The city had recorded maximum temperature of 38.4 degree Celsius on August 20 making it the hottest day in August since 2002. But today`s maximum broke that record.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi