Delhi: Woman allowed to sell house to safeguard son`s future
New Delhi: A widow was allowed on Monday by a
Delhi court to sell her house bought by her late husband on a
bank loan, to clear the debt, meet her day-to-day expenses and
to safeguard her child`s future.
Additional District Judge Arun Bhardwaj gave the order
on a plea by Dwarka resident Vashali Grewal who told the
court that she was merely a housewife having no income to
meet her day-to-day expenses or even to pay back the monthly
installment of the loan for her house.
Vashali, wife of Inderjeet Singh Grewal, who died on
March 26, 2010, had approached the court seeking its approval
to sell her house in Dwarka.
"In the opinion of this court, sale of property is for
meeting the necessities of the minor child and the woman is
entitled to sell it," the judge said, permitting her to sell
the house but for not less than Rs 45 lakhs, which the
collector`s report had assessed as its market value.
To protect the interest of the child, the court asked
her to deposit half of the sale amount, Rs 22.5 lakh, in her
son`s name till he turns major.
"Vashali, who is the mother of the minor child, has no
interest adverse to the interest of child. Rather, there is no
other better person to safeguard the interest and welfare of
minor," the court said while allowing her to sell the house.
The woman had told the court that her husband, who was a
practising lawyer, was a handicap having 75 percent permanent
physical disability in both his lower limbs.
Inderjeet, being a handicapped person, was alloted the
flat under reserved category and had bought it on a loan of Rs
six lakhs from ICICI Bank in July 2003.
"There is a loan against the property and I am paying
monthly installments without any source of income. I am
seeking permission to sell the house so that I can purchase a
smaller flat and to invest the remaining amount for the
welfare and benefit of my son," Vashali told the court.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- BJP MLA Vikram Saini accused of voicing controversial statement
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?