Delhi woman dies a week after set on fire for dowry
New Delhi: A 25-year-old woman, who with her 13-month-old daughter was set on fire by her in-laws for dowry a week ago here, died of her injuries in a city hospital Sunday, police said.
Pariwartika Gupta, who was residing with her husband`s family in south Delhi`s Sarojini Nagar since her marriage in 2010, was set on fire along with her daughter, Idika, Oct 6 inside her in-laws` house.
She and her daughter were admitted to Safdarjung Hospital, where she died of her 80 percent burns early Sunday morning. Idika is recuperating with 55 percent injuries.
Kashaamveer, a doctor by profession and Pariwartika`s father, alleged in a complaint to police that his daughter was tortured by her in-laws for not fulfilling their demand of Rs.10 lakh after her marriage.
"He has already paid Rs.6 lakh to Pariwartika`s in-laws and was in the process of giving them the remaining amount. But, they burnt Pariwartika to death," said a police officer, citing Kashaamveer`s complaint.
A case has been registered against Pariwartika`s in-laws and her mother-in-law has been arrested.
"The victim`s mother-in-law, Sushma Gupta, has been arrested while her husband Ashutosh Gupta, 30, and father-in-law Ram Mohan Gupta, who works with NDMC as an assistant engineer, are absconding," said the officer.
A hunt is now on to nab Pariwartika`s husband and father-in-law, the officer added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Parrikar hits out at Nawaz Sharif, says India doesn't need advice about troops in Siachen
- Prefer to ignore what Nawaz Sharif said at UN, says Manohar Parrikar
- Congressmen tie pigeon inside rocket to welcome their leader – A must watch for Rahul Gandhi