Delhi youth gets 5 yrs jail for sexually assaulting minor niece
New Delhi: A youth has been sentenced to five year jail term for sexually assaulting his five-year-old niece by a Delhi court, which observed that there is a rise in sexual offences against women.
Additional Sessions Judge Sanjeev Kumar sentenced 22-year-old Bobby and imposed a fine of Rs 5,000 on him, saying he has maligned relations and broken trust of the victim`s parents.
"The convict has sexually assaulted his niece in absence of her parents. Thus, I agree with the prosecutor that convict has maligned the relations and also broken the trust of the girl`s parents who had left her in the house alone in the hope that convict will look after her.
"Further, this kind of incident of sexual assault of girls are also increasing in the society...," the judge said.
According to the prosecution, the incident took place in December last year, when the girl`s parents had gone to market and she was alone in the house in the custody of her uncle.
The youth took the girl in his lap, removed her clothes and sexually assaulted her, the police said, adding that he had also beaten her and pressed her neck.
The court held Bobby guilty of the offences of aggravated sexual assault under the Protection of Children from Sexual Offences (POCSO) Act and causing hurt under the IPC.
During the trial, Bobby said he had taken the child in his lap out of love and affection and not with any sexual intentions.
The court, however, said he had failed to prove that he had not touched the girl with sexual intentions.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan