Delhi youth gets seven-year jail term for raping married woman
New Delhi: A youth has been sentenced to seven years in jail by a Delhi court for raping a married woman at knife point in her husband`s absence.
Additional Sessions Judge Yogesh Khanna handed down the jail term to 26-year-old Anil Kumar, who was also held guilty of causing knife injuries to the victim during commission of the crime.
"Considering the facts and circumstances of the case, especially the age of the accused (Kumar) as also that he has been in judicial custody for more than four years. The ends of justice shall suffice, if the accused is sentenced to rigorous imprisonment for seven years," the court said.
The convict was also imposed a fine of Rs 5,000.
According to police, Kumar had raped the woman in November, 2009 when she was in her house in west Delhi with her children.
"One day in the month of November 2009 around 11 PM, she was present in her room along with her children, who were sleeping. Her husband had gone out for some work. The accused entered into the house and closed the door from inside.
"Thereafter, he took out a knife, threatened to kill her and then raped her. He also asked her for the keys of almirah where she had kept her money and jewellery. When she did not give him the keys, he beat her. Meantime, her husband came and saved her and their children," the woman had told the police in her complaint.
However, the accused claimed innocence in the court and said that he was falsely implicated.
The judge rejected his submissions and convicted him saying, "I have already declared the testimony of the woman truthful and the cut marks... Do prove use of a knife by the accused."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says