Delhi: Youth guilty of drunken driving released on probation
New Delhi: A youth held guilty of driving his motorbike in a drunken state has been released on probation of three months by a Delhi court on the ground that sentencing him to jail term would adversely affect his life and family.
Additional Sessions Judge (ASJ) Vikas Dhull let off South West Delhi resident Raju Singh on probation, setting aside the five-day jail term given to him by a trial court.
"This is the first offence of the appellant under the Motor Vehicle Act. Raju is stated to be employed in a private job and sentencing the appellant for imprisonment will adversely affect his life and family.
"Appellant deserves to be given a chance for reformation. The impugned order is accordingly set aside... The appellant is given the benefit of probation," the judge said.
The court`s order came on Singh`s plea challenging the trial court`s July 10 order sentencing him to five days in jail for driving his motorcycle in an inebriated state early this year in South West Delhi area. The trial court had also imposed a fine of Rs 2,000 on him.
Seeking the relief, Singh`s counsel had told the court that Raju is employed in private sector and is responsible for supporting his parents, wife and two minor children.
The court ordered him to maintain good conduct and behaviour and gave the trial court the liberty to sentence him if he is found guilty of drunken driving during his period of probation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA