Delhi: Youth held for raping 77-year-old woman
New Delhi: A 22-year-old rickshaw puller
was arrested in outer Delhi for allegedly raping an elderly woman after beating her up while ferrying her to her residence, police said Monday.
Bhola, hailing from Madhya Pradesh, was arrested last
night following interrogation of around 100 rickshaw pullers
after the incident was reported from near K N Katju Marg
police station on Saturday, a senior police official said.
The rape of the 77-year-old woman had exposed chinks
in police`s claim of the capital being safe for women.
The incident came to light yesterday morning after a
passerby found the victim in a badly bruised condition.
The victim had gone to her sister`s residence in
Rohini Sector 15 on Friday afternoon and the incident took
place when she was returning home in a cycle rickshaw that
"Usually the sister used to accompany her. However,
yesterday the victim was alone and struck a deal with a
rickshaw puller for Rs 25 for ferrying her to Sector 7 in
Rohini," the official said.
However, he said, the rickshaw puller took a different
route than the usual one she used to take and took her to the
Japanese Park area.
The official said the victim`s family had claimed that
the rickshaw puller suddenly overturned the rickshaw and
picked up an argument with her.
The victim then offered more money and asked him to
take her home faster. However, he said, he allegedly attacked
her with a brick, made her smell some chemicals following
which she became semi-conscious and then he raped her.
The victim has two sons who started searching for her
around 9:30 pm after she did not reach home. "The two sons thought she was with the other one. They approached police in night," the official said.
This incident came seven days after a young girl was shot dead outside her college by an alleged stalker and an
83-year-old woman strangled by two youths during a robbery at
Around 40 rape cases were reported in the capital this
year so far. The city has witnessed a sharp increase in rape
and molestation cases last year since 2007.
In 2010, the city witnessed 489 rape incidents, including the infamous Dhaula Kuan rape and Mongolpuri, as
against 2009`s 459. The figures for 2006 was 609 followed by a
drop to 581 next year while in 2008 it further dipped to 466.
Almost similar was the case with molestation cases in
the capital in these years but it showed an increase this year
to 585 from last year`s 532. While 2008 had 597 cases, there
were 835 incidents in 2007 wand 713 in 609. In over 90 per
cent of such cases, the accused were known to victims.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured