Delhi: Youth held for raping 77-year-old woman
New Delhi: A 22-year-old rickshaw puller
was arrested in outer Delhi for allegedly raping an elderly woman after beating her up while ferrying her to her residence, police said Monday.
Bhola, hailing from Madhya Pradesh, was arrested last
night following interrogation of around 100 rickshaw pullers
after the incident was reported from near K N Katju Marg
police station on Saturday, a senior police official said.
The rape of the 77-year-old woman had exposed chinks
in police`s claim of the capital being safe for women.
The incident came to light yesterday morning after a
passerby found the victim in a badly bruised condition.
The victim had gone to her sister`s residence in
Rohini Sector 15 on Friday afternoon and the incident took
place when she was returning home in a cycle rickshaw that
"Usually the sister used to accompany her. However,
yesterday the victim was alone and struck a deal with a
rickshaw puller for Rs 25 for ferrying her to Sector 7 in
Rohini," the official said.
However, he said, the rickshaw puller took a different
route than the usual one she used to take and took her to the
Japanese Park area.
The official said the victim`s family had claimed that
the rickshaw puller suddenly overturned the rickshaw and
picked up an argument with her.
The victim then offered more money and asked him to
take her home faster. However, he said, he allegedly attacked
her with a brick, made her smell some chemicals following
which she became semi-conscious and then he raped her.
The victim has two sons who started searching for her
around 9:30 pm after she did not reach home. "The two sons thought she was with the other one. They approached police in night," the official said.
This incident came seven days after a young girl was shot dead outside her college by an alleged stalker and an
83-year-old woman strangled by two youths during a robbery at
Around 40 rape cases were reported in the capital this
year so far. The city has witnessed a sharp increase in rape
and molestation cases last year since 2007.
In 2010, the city witnessed 489 rape incidents, including the infamous Dhaula Kuan rape and Mongolpuri, as
against 2009`s 459. The figures for 2006 was 609 followed by a
drop to 581 next year while in 2008 it further dipped to 466.
Almost similar was the case with molestation cases in
the capital in these years but it showed an increase this year
to 585 from last year`s 532. While 2008 had 597 cases, there
were 835 incidents in 2007 wand 713 in 609. In over 90 per
cent of such cases, the accused were known to victims.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family