Delhi Zoo installs coolers for animals
New Delhi: The Delhi Zoo has installed desert coolers and exhaust fans in all its enclosures to keep the animals cool during summers.
"We have installed around 70 desert coolers in almost all the enclosures, including those of tigers, lions, elephants and rhinos, with most of them having two coolers installed in each enclosure to keep the animals cool," Riyaz Ahmed Khan, Curator of the National Zoological Park, said.
The large animals were being given a bath at least twice a day, while in some enclosures like those of rhinos, hippos and buffaloes, the moats and polls were being filled with water and mud to allow them to soak, he said.
"We are giving the herbivores and primates seasonal fruits like watermelons and cucumbers, while carnivores are being provided with a reduced diet structure of meat so that digesting is easy for them. Plenty of drinking water has also been provided to the animals," a zoo official said.
"There are a lot of summer foliages added around the zoo to maintain shade along the paths used by visitors, as well as in the enclosure, so that animals can take refuge under them," he said, adding, "We have also been sprinkling water in the bird cages from time to time."
The authorities have also decided to launch battery-operated car service for visitors from next week.
"For the visitors, we are starting battery car services by next week to take them around the zoo during summer. We have also installed around 10 water coolers with RO purification systems around the park for visitors," he said.
The zoo also has several stalls selling cold beverages in pet bottles within its premises though there are concerns about visitors throwing the plastic bottles into the enclosures to tease the animals.
According to zoo officials, the visitor count has not gone down despite the heat as most of them come from the outskirts of the city. The Delhi Zoo attracts around 10,000 visitors including foreigners on weekends and holidays.
As part of the plan to make the National Zoological Park a world-class facility by 2030, the zoo officials are making a number of changes, including getting new species of animals.
"We are also in the process of making an enclosure with glass panes for the white tiger so that visitors can see it up close. There are plans to have glass panes for birds," the zoo curator said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- Watch: Dance guru Prabhudheva's mind-blowing act in 'Happy Hour' from 'ABCD2'!