Delhiites relieved as auto strike off
New Delhi: In a major relief to Delhiites, more than half of the city`s 55,000 autorickshaws which went on strike from Thursday midnight returned to the roads on Saturday.
Some auto unions had gone on strike demanding that the Delhi government pay for the Global Positioning System (GPS) devices to be installed in their vehicles.
"The strike is off for now as we have been assured by the government that they will meet all our demands," Rakesh Sood, Delhi unit president of the Bharatiya Private Transport Mazdoor Mahasangh, told a news agency.
Around 10 representatives of the union met Delhi`s Transport Minister Arvinder Singh Lovely Friday evening for almost an hour, following which the strike was called off late Friday night, said Sood.
"Our demands of a welfare board for autorickshaw drivers, pension and healthcare schemes for our families have been met and the minister has promised that within four months, the board will be constructed," added Sood.
According to Sood, the unions have agreed to the government`s plan of breaking down the installation cost of GPS devices -- which comes to around Rs 7,500 -- to 12 monthly instalments of Rs 625.
"We have also been assured that those drivers who have the autos registered in their names will get further rebates... but that will take at least a month," added Sood.
City residents faced a tough time Friday due to the auto strike, with the spillover effect leading to increased rush in Metro and buses.
The government wants autorickshaws to be fitted with GPS devices to enable a two-way communication system that will help check speeding, route deviation and ensure commuter safety.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BCCI announces Team India squad for Bangladesh tour
- Sudha Shivpuri aka 'Baa' of 'Kyuki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi' dies
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- Kejriwal accuses Centre of trying to rule Delhi through LG
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- Expect that Rahul will be Congress president in 2015: Jairam Ramesh
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'
- Bihar Intermediate Result 2015 declared