Delhi`s autorickshaw drivers get 45-day breather
New Delhi: In a major relief for the capital`s autorickshaw drivers, the Delhi government on Monday extended by 45 days the deadline for them to apply for smart card-based permits, an official said.
"There are around 7,000 auto drivers who have to get smart cards. We will be issuing notice to all of them by tomorrow (Tuesday) and they can start applying the day after," Delhi Transport Commissioner RK Verma told a news agency.
The government in November last year had asked the autorickshaw drivers to apply for smart card-based permits in order to keep a record of the number of three-wheelers in the city.
However, problems arose when many auto drivers claimed they had bought their vehicles from people who no longer resided in the city. In such cases, the government refused to issue them smart cards as the vehicle was registered in some one else`s name.
"The autorickshaw drivers can bring their purchase letter and apply for the smart cards. Those who do not apply would be fake and we are expecting this figure to be around one or two thousand," Verma added.
Meanwhile, the auto drivers union has expressed relief at the development.
"If we went on strike it would have caused trouble to people as well as us. It is satisfying that the government has acknowledged our demand and we are very happy with this decision… We will start applying for the permit soon," said Suresh Sharma, president of the Rashtravadi Janta Tipahiya Chalak Mahasangh.
The auto unions had threatened a strike if the government removed the autorickshaws from the city roads. At about 55,000, the autorickshaws make for a major chunk of public transport system in the capital.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Discussion over if Pak is in fear of war after India's stringent initiative on Uri terror attack?
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray