Delhi`s first open jail in Baprola proposal back on table
New Delhi: A proposal to set up Delhi`s first `Open Jail` at Baprola in Dwarka, which has been gathering dust for over a decade, is now back on the table with the concept being discussed at a top level meeting attended by Chief Secretary recently.
Delhi government has decided to acquire a land in Baprola for setting up the jail in a recent prison administration review meeting attended by Delhi government officers and Director General (Prisons).
The `Open Jail` will be without bars for housing the prisoners. Aim is to mould the thinking of the prisoners towards positive activities by reposing trust in them to enable their re-socialization in the society after release from the prison," said a
Delhi government official.
The proposal, which was initiated in 1996, failed to take off due to the delay in acquisition of land in Baprola because of the land mafia menace.
The treatment of `open prisoners` is extended only to convicts with good prison conduct and who are physically and mentally fit, willing to do hard work, as prescribed for them, the official said.
Besides that, to decongest the Central Jail of Tihar, which is overcrowded with about 10,000 prisoners as against its capacity of housing 6000 prisoners, Delhi government officials said that the construction works of new jails will soon be completed.
"Tihar Jail has nine jails in its complex while Rohini Jail has three jails. The proposed Mandoli Jail will have six jails in its complex on a piece of land measuring 78.62 acres which was allotted by DDA on payment", the official said.
The construction work of all the six jails in the complex will soon be completed. Mandoli Jail will have the capacity of housing 3700 prisoners. It will be commissioned by end of December this year, officials told the Chief Secretary S K Srivastava during the meeting.
Further, for construction of a jail in Narela, the land has been acquired in village Tikri Khurd and the payment has also been
The construction work will start soon after completing the necessary formalities.
Srivastava directed all concerned officers to extend their full cooperation in commissioning the jail projects as early as possible. He directed the Principal Secretary (PWD) to clear all the construction projects of jails.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Jharkhand: Firing during Dhanbad municipal elections, many injured
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- CBSE (cbse.nic.in ) Class X results 2015: CBSE Class 10th Board results likely to be declared tomorrow on cbseresults.nic.in