Delhi`s five-star hotels asked to cut down water consumption
New Delhi: With water crisis during peak summer months looming large, Delhi government has asked 35 five-star hotels to take immediate steps to cut down their consumption and directed them to set up waste water treatment plants.
Identifying the five-star hotels as major guzzlers of water, the government has directed them to take a number of "concrete steps" by June to conserve water and install waste water treatment plants by September.
"We have asked 35 five-star hotels to file affidavit informing us about measures they are taking to cut consumption of water. They have been told to set up waste water treatment plants for recycling of waste water by September," a senior official of the environment department said.
The officials said the five-star hotels in Delhi consume around 14 million litres of water daily and generate nearly 10 million litres of sewage everyday.
They said punitive action will follow in case of non-compliance of the directive.
When asked about the government directive, an official in the Taj Palace Hotel said a number of steps are being taken to ensure water conservation.
The current average demand of potable water in Delhi is around 1,100 mgd (million gallons per day) and currently Delhi Jal Board supplies around 800 mgd water across the city after treating raw water in its treatment plants.
The demand is projected to touch around 1,400 mgd by end of the 12th Five-Year Plan in 2017. Delhi relies heavily on neighbouring states such as Haryana and Uttar Pradesh for the supply of raw water.
Large parts of the city witnessed severe water shortage last summer and people even resorted to violent protests in many localities demanding water.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- British tourist masturbated at in Mumbai; Indian men apologise
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now