Delhi`s growth rate at impressive 11 percent: Dikshit
New Delhi: Notwithstanding the slowdown in the economy, Delhi achieved an impressive growth rate of 11 per cent in 2011-12 which is highest among all the states in the country, Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit said on Sunday.
"We could achieve the impressive growth rate due to the pro-active approach and people oriented policies of our government," she said.
Dikshit was addressing a function after inaugurating the 102nd Jeevan center at Saket area of South Delhi. The Jevan Centres provide various services to the citizens under one roof.
Delhi Assembly Speaker Yoganad Shastri was also present on the occasion.
Officials in Finance department said the actual growth rate of Delhi in 2011-12 was 11.3 percent noting that government was confident of maintaining around 11 percent growth rate in the current fiscal despite downward forecast for the economy in general.
Delhi`s contribution to the GDP of the country was 3.8 percent in 2011-12 while having 1.4 percent share in total population of the country.
The Delhi government has projected the economy of the city to grow at a rate of 11 to 11.5 percent during the 12th Five Year Plan period.
The growth rate of Delhi in the Eleventh Plan period was 11.46 per cent as compared to 7.9 percent at the national level.
The city government has already taken a number of steps including enhancing the tax collection mechanism and keeping the fiscal deficit under control to keep its financial position in a healthy state.
In her speech, Dikshit said the national capital continues to be the centre of attraction for people from all the states as it has has enormous employment opportunities.
"The Jeevan centers have become lifeline of Delhi as they have been providing various facilities to the citizens like payment of various bills, obtaining application forms and giving details of various welfare schemes under one roof," Dikshit said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- India in Olympics: PM Modi forms task force to improve Indian sports
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai
- British PM to put stamp on Brexit before G20 summit
- Germany's top immigration officer anticipates 300,000 refugees in 2016
- Wow! Soon you may find a robot greeting you at HDFC Bank
- Half of states expected to ratify GST by early September
- When Kareena Kapoor Khan got 'emotional' while walking Lakme Fashion Week runway