Delhi`s growth rate at impressive 11 percent: Dikshit
New Delhi: Notwithstanding the slowdown in the economy, Delhi achieved an impressive growth rate of 11 per cent in 2011-12 which is highest among all the states in the country, Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit said on Sunday.
"We could achieve the impressive growth rate due to the pro-active approach and people oriented policies of our government," she said.
Dikshit was addressing a function after inaugurating the 102nd Jeevan center at Saket area of South Delhi. The Jevan Centres provide various services to the citizens under one roof.
Delhi Assembly Speaker Yoganad Shastri was also present on the occasion.
Officials in Finance department said the actual growth rate of Delhi in 2011-12 was 11.3 percent noting that government was confident of maintaining around 11 percent growth rate in the current fiscal despite downward forecast for the economy in general.
Delhi`s contribution to the GDP of the country was 3.8 percent in 2011-12 while having 1.4 percent share in total population of the country.
The Delhi government has projected the economy of the city to grow at a rate of 11 to 11.5 percent during the 12th Five Year Plan period.
The growth rate of Delhi in the Eleventh Plan period was 11.46 per cent as compared to 7.9 percent at the national level.
The city government has already taken a number of steps including enhancing the tax collection mechanism and keeping the fiscal deficit under control to keep its financial position in a healthy state.
In her speech, Dikshit said the national capital continues to be the centre of attraction for people from all the states as it has has enormous employment opportunities.
"The Jeevan centers have become lifeline of Delhi as they have been providing various facilities to the citizens like payment of various bills, obtaining application forms and giving details of various welfare schemes under one roof," Dikshit said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM
- SC asks Haryana Police to quickly finish AIPMT paper leak probe