`Delhi`s nomination submitted for world heritage status`
New Delhi: The nomination of Delhi`s imperial capital cities has been submitted to the World Heritage Centre for inclusion in the world heritage list in January, parliament was told Wednesday.
"The nomination of Delhi`s imperial capital cities has been submitted to World Heritage Centre. The whole process may take more than one-and-a-half years after submission of dossier, involving evaluation report of ICOMOS (the International Council on Monuments and Sites) mission and decision of World Heritage Committee which evaluates each point and issue very critically," Culture Minister Chandresh Kumari Katoch told the Rajya Sabha in a written reply.
The minister said the World Heritage Site (WHS) status provides wider recognition and a higher profile, broad legal status, economic, technical assistance and networking opportunities apart form international collaboration in protection.
"It also improves the management, preservation and conservation levels of the universal value of the site. The site is viewed more favourably and provides promotional advantage and a `branding effect` which encourages new investment and increases tourism. It is seen as a mechanism for building local confidence and civic pride which provides social unity," added Katoch.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- President Mukherjee inspect International Fleet Review at Vishakhapatnam
- Divyansh's death not an accident, but a murder?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction
- Was Divyansh sexually assaulted and then murdered?
- India takes inspiration from Iran; sets up 'Hanger of Kindness' in Delhi
- VIDEO: Mohammad Amir's hat-trick in Match 2 of PSL 2016
- Oh so cute! PM Narendra Modi pulls Akshay Kumar's son Aarav Kumar's ear!-- See pic
- Muslim personal law can't be subjected to scrutiny by Supreme Court: Jamiat-Ulama-i-Hind
- IPL 2016 auction - As it happened...
- Not Delhi, but Varanasi and Muzaffarpur the most polluted cities in India