Delhi`s sex offenders’ photos, other details now online
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: In an unprecedented move, the Delhi Police have uploaded the names, photographs, addresses and other details of convicted sex offenders on their website.
The Delhi Police claim that the move to name and shame sexual offenders will help people recognise the accused and lodge complaints about unreported offences.
The Union Ministry of Home Affairs, on the basis of a proposal made by Justice Verma Commission, had sent a directive to the Delhi Police to upload the details of the sexual offenders, who have been found guilty in the last three decades (1983-2013).
Details of 664 persons convicted of ‘serious’ sexual offences have been uploaded so far.
“It is in pursuance of a government directive that seeks to deter sexual criminals from relapsing and committing similar offences post-conviction,” said Ravindra Yadav, additional commissioner of police (crime).
“Given the recurring nature of such offences, the objective is also to provide adequate information to those residing in and around the vicinity of these persons to keep themselves safe.”
One can log on to the Delhi Police`s website, http://www.delhipolice.nic.in/, and click on the `sexual offenders` link on the left hand side. The details, such as name, parents` names, address and case details, are displayed year-wise.
(With Agency inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Robert Vadra explains Facebook post, denies insulting Parliament
- Shashi Tharoor condems Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez