Demolish unauthorised construction near Rai Pithora Fort: HC
New Delhi: The Delhi High Court has ordered demolition of unauthorised construction on government land near Rai Pithora Fort, which is named after the second-last Hindu king of Delhi, Prithviraj Chauhan.
A bench headed by Justice G S Sistani directed the South Delhi Municipal Corporation to file a report by April 23 showing that the court`s order to demolish the illegal structure by March 19 has been complied with.
The high court also directed that police protection be provided, if required, to the people who would be part of the demolition team.
The court`s order was passed while hearing a plea filed by Delhi resident Paramjeet Singh through his counsels JP Sengh and Sanjay Kumar Singh, seeking demolition of the illegal and unauthorised construction allegedly going on near the fort since last November.
The counsel had argued that Paramjeet Singh had approached the authorities, including the Forest Department and the area sub-divisional magistrate, requesting them to stop the construction work.
Despite lodging several complaints with the authorities concerned, Paramjeet had not received a proper reply and the construction near the fort went on unabated and no action was taken against the two local builders, the petition said.
It also submitted that the construction was illegal and unauthorised as per the Delhi Ancient and Historical Monuments and Archaeological Sites and Remains Act, which prohibits any construction activity up to 50 m from the protected limits of a monument.
Paramjeet also alleged that complaints against the unauthorised construction activity and the builders were lodged with the police as well, but no action was taken.
He submitted that the construction went on unabated despite an order from the SDM of Mehrauli restraining the builders from continuing with their work near the fort.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Videos of Indian casualties on Pakistani channels 'doctored', say Army sources
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’