Dengue cases rise to 461, swine flu 348 in Delhi
New Delhi: With 32 more people tested
positive for H1N1 virus and 25 for dengue today, the total
number of swine flu and infection by female Aedes aegypti
mosquito cases rose to 461 and 348 respectively so far this
year, health officials said.
"The total laboratory confirmed swine flu cases in the
city is 461 till date this year. 32 fresh swab test in the
city confirmed for presence of H1N1 virus. This includes eight
children," Debashish Bhattacharya, nodal officer for swine in
the city said.
"25 people tested positive for dengue fever in the last
24 hours. With this the total number of people who tested
positive for dengue fever rose to 322," MCD medical health
officer N Yadav said.
"We have appointed 392 extra staff for the next three
months to carry out fogging and anti-mosquito breeding
exercises," he said.
According to statistics released by the Municipal
Corporation of Delhi, the number of cases till this time in
2009 was only three. The figure was 54, 12 and 37 in the same
periods in previous years -- 2008, 2007 and 2006.
The civic body has said there were one confirmed and
three suspected dengue deaths this season though private
hospitals are giving a much higher figure.
Among the total 348 cases so far, 272 have been reported
from MCD areas, 48 from NDMC areas and the rest were from
other parts of the city outstation cases. MCD Central Zone
reported the highest of 75 cases closely followed by South
Zone with 74.
The MCD also released the names and addresses of the 26
new patients which show that there were five fresh cases from
Jamia Nagar-Okhla, one of the worst-hit localities. Cases were
also reported from Bhajanpura, Shakarpur, Rohini, Tilak Nagar,
New Friends Colony and Wazirabad.
The civic body said it was trying its best to control the
spread of the vector-borne disease and has challaned a large
number of individuals and organisations for breeding of
mosquitoes in their premises. It said notices were sent to
45,532 people for breeding and 6,125 of them were fined.
According to the MCD, in the previous years, the number
of dengue cases and deaths were 1153 and 3 (2009), 1312 and 2
(2008), 548 and 1 (2007) and 3366 and 36 (2006).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA : When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism?
- Drunk girl assaults Mumbai police in Worli
- Arun Jaitley upset with Subramaniam Swami's Twitter attack
- Bombay HC to pronounce verdict on entry of woman to Haji Ali Dargah today
- DNA: When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism? - Part II
- Juno on Jupiter's doorstep: Stunning view of giant planet and its largest moons (Pic inside)!
- 'Can you spare USD10 to help elect a billionaire?' - Trump emails
- 'Narasimha Rao's pro Hindu mindset led to Babri mosque demolition'
- Brexit: Germany, France, Italy vow `new impulse` for European Union
- Euro 2016: Holders Spain knocked out by Italy in last 16