Dengue threat during Chhath: CM gives directions for ghats
New Delhi: Keeping in view rising cases of dengue, Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit on Saturday issued direction to the municipal corporations to ensure proper cleanliness in all designated Chhath puja ghats in the city.
The Chief Minister has instructed Chief Secretary PK Tripathi to particularly direct all Municipal Commissioners to oversee cleanliness drive at Chhat Puja ghats.
Dikshit`s Parliamentary Secretary Mukesh Sharma, who has been overseeing the Chhath puja preparations, said the Chief Minister has also ordered all concerned agencies to provide best possible facilities to the devotees.
"The Chief Minister has instructed all concerned agencies to facilitate adequate arrangements for Chhath Puja celebration. She also issued direction to maintain highest level of cleanliness in view of rising cases of dengue as unhygienic condition may lead to mosquio breeding," he said.
Devotees flock to various ghats along the Yamuna to offer prayers to the Sun on Chhat Puja, which is celebrated in Delhi by an estimated 40-lakh-strong Poorvanchali population. This year`s Chhat Puja will be celebrated tomorrow and Monday.
Sharma said Dikshit had requested Haryana government to release adequate water to Delhi in view of Chhath Puja celebrations and the neighbouring state has agreed to the request.
Sharma, who visited various Chhath ghats, to oversee preparations said all Deputy Commissioners of various districts have also been told to visit ghat sites to ensure proper facilities.
He said Delhi Jal Board has made arrangements to provide drinking water supply at ghats.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla