Dengue threat during Chhath: CM gives directions for ghats
New Delhi: Keeping in view rising cases of dengue, Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit on Saturday issued direction to the municipal corporations to ensure proper cleanliness in all designated Chhath puja ghats in the city.
The Chief Minister has instructed Chief Secretary PK Tripathi to particularly direct all Municipal Commissioners to oversee cleanliness drive at Chhat Puja ghats.
Dikshit`s Parliamentary Secretary Mukesh Sharma, who has been overseeing the Chhath puja preparations, said the Chief Minister has also ordered all concerned agencies to provide best possible facilities to the devotees.
"The Chief Minister has instructed all concerned agencies to facilitate adequate arrangements for Chhath Puja celebration. She also issued direction to maintain highest level of cleanliness in view of rising cases of dengue as unhygienic condition may lead to mosquio breeding," he said.
Devotees flock to various ghats along the Yamuna to offer prayers to the Sun on Chhat Puja, which is celebrated in Delhi by an estimated 40-lakh-strong Poorvanchali population. This year`s Chhat Puja will be celebrated tomorrow and Monday.
Sharma said Dikshit had requested Haryana government to release adequate water to Delhi in view of Chhath Puja celebrations and the neighbouring state has agreed to the request.
Sharma, who visited various Chhath ghats, to oversee preparations said all Deputy Commissioners of various districts have also been told to visit ghat sites to ensure proper facilities.
He said Delhi Jal Board has made arrangements to provide drinking water supply at ghats.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video