Dense fog engulfs IGI airport; 50 flights delayed
New Delhi: Dense fog on Monday enveloped the IGI
airport disrupting flight operations as around 50 of them
were delayed causing inconvenience to passengers.
A thick blanket of fog descended at the airport at around
midnight and visibility dipped to a low of 50 metres in the
morning between 8 am and 9.30 am on runways 29/11 and 27/09.
The poor visibility made the two runways unusable and
forced the airport authorities to implement low visibility
The runway visibility on the main runway was also less
than 50 metres at Dwarka side.
A total of 289 flights operated during the LVP period
which lasted for about 12 hours on the main runway and for 10
hours on the new runway.
A total of 242 flights operated under CAT I conditions,
10 under CAT II, one under CAT III A conditions and 36 under
CAT III B, an airport official said.
However, the visibility increased later in the day.
But it suddenly dipped at around 5 am and 530 am from
2000 metres to 500 metres due to sudden formation of fog.
"This dense fog spell has been still happening in advance
sector due to approaching Western disturbance.
The sudden fog formed due to change in wind direction
from dry westerly to moist easterly," airport Met director RK
Met has predicted dense fog for tomorrow morning and
flight operations may also remain affected.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends