Dense fog engulfs IGI airport; 50 flights delayed
New Delhi: Dense fog on Monday enveloped the IGI
airport disrupting flight operations as around 50 of them
were delayed causing inconvenience to passengers.
A thick blanket of fog descended at the airport at around
midnight and visibility dipped to a low of 50 metres in the
morning between 8 am and 9.30 am on runways 29/11 and 27/09.
The poor visibility made the two runways unusable and
forced the airport authorities to implement low visibility
The runway visibility on the main runway was also less
than 50 metres at Dwarka side.
A total of 289 flights operated during the LVP period
which lasted for about 12 hours on the main runway and for 10
hours on the new runway.
A total of 242 flights operated under CAT I conditions,
10 under CAT II, one under CAT III A conditions and 36 under
CAT III B, an airport official said.
However, the visibility increased later in the day.
But it suddenly dipped at around 5 am and 530 am from
2000 metres to 500 metres due to sudden formation of fog.
"This dense fog spell has been still happening in advance
sector due to approaching Western disturbance.
The sudden fog formed due to change in wind direction
from dry westerly to moist easterly," airport Met director RK
Met has predicted dense fog for tomorrow morning and
flight operations may also remain affected.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan