Dense fog hits Delhi; flights, trains delayed
New Delhi: Harsh weather conditions and cold wave has thrown the normal life completely out of gear as winter chill persists in North India.
Dense fog enveloped the national capital on Thursday morning and visibility fell to near zero level, leading to cancellation and delaying of several flight operations and trains schedule.
The early morning temperature in the national capital hovered around five degrees Celsius, dropping to 4.8 degree Celsius at about 6:30 am.
As many as 12 flights have been delayed and 10 cancelled at the Delhi airport and at least 17 trains are reported to be running behind schedule.
Several domestic flights to and from the Indira Gandhi Airport were delayed due to dense fog. The visibility at the runaway is said to be around 220 -- 370 meters.
On Wednesday, the maximum temperature plummeted to 14 degree Celsius, making it the coldest day of this winter. Icy winds blew across the city and overnight rains added to the chill in the morning hours.
Harsh weather continues to spread havoc in the Jammu & Kashmir with heavy snowfall forced the closure of the Jammu-Srinagar National Highway, which was reopened yesterday following a clearing operation by the Border Roads Organisation.
Heavy snowfall has left the other parts of the Valley totally cut off from the outside world.
In south India, an unprecedented cold weather has claimed the lives of at least seven people in Andhra Pradesh.
Karnataka recently experienced its coldest day in the past 100 years. Meanwhile, weather officials have claimed the cold wave conditions in southern region and other parts of country would continue for the next 24 hours.
They attributed the phenomenon to easterly waves sweeping across central India.
Children and the aged were worst hit while the cold winds were also causing serious problems among people suffering from asthma.
With Agency Inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends