Deo assumes charge as Tribal Affairs Minister
New Delhi: V Kishore Chandra Deo on Thursday
assumed charge as Union Minister of Tribal Affairs here and
said rehabilitation of tribes who have lost their land and
dwellings would be one of the key challenges facing his
"Rehabilitation of tribals is a major issue, specially in
the 5th schedule areas of Chhattisgarh, Jharkhand, Andhra
Pradesh and Gujarat. Most of the tribes in these areas are
displaced because of mining and other industrial projects,"
Deo told reporters here.
On being asked about the focus area of the Ministry, Deo
said, "The implementation of Forest Rights Act lies with the
State governments. We will ensure that rights of tribals are
protected. We will also look at the industrial activities in
these areas which is a major cause of their displacement."
The Minister said he will work towards better
coordination with other ministries like environment and rural
development to ensure that there is no overlapping in the work
undertaken by them.
On demands for creating separate tribal districts in the
country, he said, "Forming a separate tribal district will not
help. My objective is to ensure their development. We need to
pursue and review the programs related to development of
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: There are no shortcuts to success, says Dr Chandra
- Watch 15 reports from 15 cities
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Sheena murder case: Unfolding deceit, lies and murder!
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Osama bin Laden is alive, staying in Bahamas, claims Edward Snowden
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?