Despite ban, plastic bags add to Delhi`s pile of waste
New Delhi: Delhi generates over 583 metric tonnes of plastic waste annually, a majority of which are plastic bags despite a ban on their use by the city government.
"Delhi generates 583 metric tonnes of plastic wastes annually," said officials, adding that the plastic waste is generated mainly by plastic bags.
In 2009, the Delhi government, exercising provisions of Delhi Degradable Plastic Bags (Manufacturing, Sales and Usage) and Garbage (Controlled) Act 2000, had forbidden sale, storage and use of all kinds of plastic bags in certain notified places.
But as the ban failed to contain use of plastic bags, the government imposed a blanket ban on manufacture, sale, storage and use of plastic bags in November last year as per provision of the Environment (Protection) Act, 1986, under which violators could face imprisonment up to five years and fine of up to Rs one lakh, or both.
As per industry sources, around 400 plastic bag manufacturing units are operating in the city.
The national capital is the largest municipal solid waste producer in the country.
As per government figures, Delhi generates around 7,000 tonnes of solid waste daily which includes construction rubbles.
Around 600 MGD (Million Gallon Daily) sewage is generated in the city each day.
The city also produces around 10 metric tonnes of bio-medical waste daily.
Officials in Environment department said though they are concerned about rising solid wastes, the main reasons for worry has been increasing vehicular pollution.
"Vehicular exhaustion is the main source of air pollution as number of vehicles registered in Delhi has increased from Rs 24.32 lakh in 1994-95 to more than 74 lakh in March 2012," they said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Preity Zinta missed crew of 'ABCD 2' on 'Nach Baliye 7'
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues