Despite ban, plastic bags add to Delhi`s pile of waste
New Delhi: Delhi generates over 583 metric tonnes of plastic waste annually, a majority of which are plastic bags despite a ban on their use by the city government.
"Delhi generates 583 metric tonnes of plastic wastes annually," said officials, adding that the plastic waste is generated mainly by plastic bags.
In 2009, the Delhi government, exercising provisions of Delhi Degradable Plastic Bags (Manufacturing, Sales and Usage) and Garbage (Controlled) Act 2000, had forbidden sale, storage and use of all kinds of plastic bags in certain notified places.
But as the ban failed to contain use of plastic bags, the government imposed a blanket ban on manufacture, sale, storage and use of plastic bags in November last year as per provision of the Environment (Protection) Act, 1986, under which violators could face imprisonment up to five years and fine of up to Rs one lakh, or both.
As per industry sources, around 400 plastic bag manufacturing units are operating in the city.
The national capital is the largest municipal solid waste producer in the country.
As per government figures, Delhi generates around 7,000 tonnes of solid waste daily which includes construction rubbles.
Around 600 MGD (Million Gallon Daily) sewage is generated in the city each day.
The city also produces around 10 metric tonnes of bio-medical waste daily.
Officials in Environment department said though they are concerned about rising solid wastes, the main reasons for worry has been increasing vehicular pollution.
"Vehicular exhaustion is the main source of air pollution as number of vehicles registered in Delhi has increased from Rs 24.32 lakh in 1994-95 to more than 74 lakh in March 2012," they said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysing the importance of Hindi language in our society
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- IT raids Delhi's Axis bank branch, finds Rs 100 cr deposited in 44 fake accounts
- Demonetisation: Majority of ATMs still out of cash
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- Kapil Sharma is sweating it out! See pics
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional