Detention during gang-rape protests: HC asks Police Commissioner to reply
New Delhi: The Delhi High Court on Friday asked the city government and police chief to respond to a youth`s allegation that he was "illegally detained" for 10 days and was not allowed to take part in anti-rape protests.
Justice SP Garg also issued notices to the SHO and the ACP of Tilak Marg and Parliament Street police stations respectively and sought their replies by January 7.
The court, meanwhile, granted permission to Tajinder Pal Singh Bagga, 25, the president of a social outfit Bhagat Singh Kranti Sena, to hold a peaceful protest at Jantar Mantar on January 6 against the December 16 brutal rape and murder of the 23-year-old girl.
During the hearing, Vikas Padora, counsel for Bagga, said the detention of his client from December 24, 2012 to January 2 be declared as "illegal, arbitrary and unreasonable."
Pawan Sharma, appearing for Delhi police, told the court that the permission to hold a peaceful protest at Jantar Mantar on January 6 has already been granted to Bagga.
Police first came on December 23 to Bagga`s house, but by then, he had already left for India Gate to take part in the protests, the counsel said adding that as a result, his aged father was detained in the police station.
On the next day, Bagga was forced to sit in the police station and he was asked to report to cops for next three days, he said adding later some constables were deployed at his house to ensure that he does not come out.
"Petitioner was in continuous illegal detention since December 24, 2012 to January 02, 2013, the plea said adding "the petitioner was detained in police station and also in his own house without any justified reason or apprehension."
Bagga and his outfit had come into light recently after they claimed responsibility for the attack on lawyer Prashant Bhushan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof