Deviation from procedures on defence land unacceptable: Antony
New Delhi: Against the backdrop of recent land scams such as Sukna, Defence Minister AK Antony has warned officials against any "incident of omission or commission" in handling military land in the country.
"There should be no incident of omission or commission with regard to defence land. Procedures should be followed scrupulously and deviations would be totally unacceptable," he said here yesterday while reviewing the functioning of the defence estates department.
Several scams involving defence land have come to the surface including the ones in Sukna, Adarsh, Kandivali and Mumbai in last few years.
After the scams came to light, the Defence Ministry took several measures to streamline the management of defence land.
The meeting was also informed by Directorate General of Defence Estates (DGDE) Ravi Kant Chopra that survey of Pokharan and Mahajan field firing ranges is under the process.
The survey is being done against the backdrop of "massive encroachments" over the land of these firing ranges in Rajasthan, Defence Ministry sources said.
At the meeting, Antony said, "Land is limited but a precious natural resource which should be utilised optimally.
"The Minister also expressed concern over the deteriorating conditions in cantonment areas due to financial constraints faced by the cantonments," they said.
The Defence Ministry has also started a project called Raksha Bhoomi to digitise the records of 17 lakh acres of land available with it.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets