Devise mechanism for quick disposal of cases: SC to CJs
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Tuesday asked chief justices of high courts to devise mechanism for quick disposal of cases, saying the delay in getting justice due to unnecessary adjournments erodes people`s faith in the judicial system.
The apex court said adjournments can have corrosive effect on the litigation.
"The virtues of adjudication cannot be allowed to be paralysed by adjournments and non-demonstration of due diligence to deal with the matter. One cannot be oblivious to the feeling necessities of the time. No one can afford to sit in an ivory tower," a bench of KS Radhakrishnan and Dipak Misra said.
"Timely delivery of justice keeps the faith ingrained and establishes the sustained stability. Access to speedy justice is regarded as a human right which is deeply rooted in the foundational concept of democracy and such a right is not only the creation of law but also a natural right," it said, adding, "The unfortunate characteristics of endemic delays have to be avoided at any cost."
The bench said that seeking adjournments has never been appreciated by the courts and all who are involved in the justice dispensation system, including judges have to show dedicated diligence.
"We request the Chief Justice of the High Court of Rajasthan as well as the other chief justices to conceive and adopt a mechanism, regard being had to the priority of cases, to avoid such inordinate delays in matters which can really be dealt with in an expeditious manner," the bench said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi