Dhaula Kuan gangrape: Key accused sent to Tihar till Wednesday
New Delhi: A Delhi court on Tuesday sent key
accused Kamru, arrested in connection with Dhaula Kuan
gangrape of a call centre employee, to Tihar Jail for a day to
enable the victim identify him before a magistrate there.
Metropolitan Magistrate Pawan Singh Rajawat remanded
Kamru, alias Mobile, to judicial custody in Tihar, ignoring
his counsel`s plea that his client does not want to undergo
Test Identification Parade (TIP) involving his identification
by the victim.
The court sent Kamru to Tihar on prosecution plea that
he needed to be put to TIP to rule out chances of any
allegation later that he was shown to the victim by the police
prior to his formal identification by her.
The defence counsel, however, alleged that his client
does not trust the police and fears that it might resort to
unfair ways for getting his client identified by the victim
Two other accused, Shahid and Iqbal, too refused to
undergo the TIP today at Tihar Jail.
TIP is an important process in investigation of a
crime, during which an accused, after his arrest, is brought
before the victim for the first time in the presence of a
magistrate and the victim is asked if he was the person who
committed the crime, say lawyers.
If the victim fails to identify the accused during the
TIP, it goes in favour of the accused during his trial as the
court may draw an inference that he might be innocent as even
the victim was not able to identify him as the person who
committed the crime.
An accused often refuses to undergo TIP at intial
stage of investigation to raise a plea later during the trial
that he was never identified by the victim as the one who
committed the crime and he was innocent.
Kamru, along with other co-accused Shahid and Iqbal,
who are now in judicial custody, will be produced before the
Kamru, the alleged leader of a five-member gang which
had allegedly abducted and raped a 30-year-old Mizo call
centre employee here, was arrested from Lakhuwas village in
Sohna police station area of Gurgaon on Monday.
The two other accused, Shamshad and Usman, were earlier
remanded in police custody till December 11 to enable the
sleuths interrogate them and gather various evidence of their
involvement in the crime.
The rape took place in the early hours of November 26
when the Mizo woman working in a BPO was abducted from her way
back home and gangraped by five miscreants in a speeding
She was walking towards her residence in Moti village
near Dhaula Kuan in South Delhi along with one of her
colleagues when the accused kidnapped her, put her in their
vehicle and sped it off with her.
They later dumped her near Mongolpuri in West Delhi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read