Dikshit alerts civic agencies before monsoon
New Delhi: Weeks ahead of the arrival of the monsoon in the capital, Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit Thursday asked Delhi`s civic agencies, particularly the MCD, to put "extra effort" to avoid incidents of water-logging, floods and damaged roads.
She asked the recently trifurcated Municipal Corporation of Delhi (MCD) to coordinate with each other and different public departments like Delhi Development Authority (DDA), Delhi Jal Board (DJB) and Public Works Department (PWD) to formulate a roadmap to avoid any awkward situation during the monsoon.
"All the civic agencies involved, particularly the three municipal corporations constituted after trifurcation, should coordinate with each other to avoid any conflict on jurisdiction and responsibilities this monsoon. Since assignments of flood control are challenging," said a statement from the chief minister`s office.
Dikshit chaired the Flood Control Apex Committee meeting and directed the other departments like DDA, DJB and PWD to put "extra efforts" to overcome situations of water-logging, flood and damaged roads during the monsoon.
"The road cuttings during rainy season and floods result in a lot of problems and disruptions in civic amenities, so the civic agencies are instructed not to carry out road cuttings from June 30, till the end of the monsoon season," the statement added.
Apart from this, each minister in the Delhi cabinet has been assigned to assess and review the work in their respective areas.
The Traffic Police has also been instructed to ensure that all traffic lights are working during the monsoon season to avoid traffic jams.
A Central Flood Control Room will be established to assist the apex committee and will function round-the-clock in the office of the Deputy Commissioner (East), L.M. Bund, Shastri Nagar from Friday till Oct 15 or till the end of the monsoon season.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Bird flu grips nation, Delhi worst affected
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- How will the rift in Samajwadi Party affect UP politics?
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees