Dikshit alerts civic agencies before monsoon
New Delhi: Weeks ahead of the arrival of the monsoon in the capital, Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit Thursday asked Delhi`s civic agencies, particularly the MCD, to put "extra effort" to avoid incidents of water-logging, floods and damaged roads.
She asked the recently trifurcated Municipal Corporation of Delhi (MCD) to coordinate with each other and different public departments like Delhi Development Authority (DDA), Delhi Jal Board (DJB) and Public Works Department (PWD) to formulate a roadmap to avoid any awkward situation during the monsoon.
"All the civic agencies involved, particularly the three municipal corporations constituted after trifurcation, should coordinate with each other to avoid any conflict on jurisdiction and responsibilities this monsoon. Since assignments of flood control are challenging," said a statement from the chief minister`s office.
Dikshit chaired the Flood Control Apex Committee meeting and directed the other departments like DDA, DJB and PWD to put "extra efforts" to overcome situations of water-logging, flood and damaged roads during the monsoon.
"The road cuttings during rainy season and floods result in a lot of problems and disruptions in civic amenities, so the civic agencies are instructed not to carry out road cuttings from June 30, till the end of the monsoon season," the statement added.
Apart from this, each minister in the Delhi cabinet has been assigned to assess and review the work in their respective areas.
The Traffic Police has also been instructed to ensure that all traffic lights are working during the monsoon season to avoid traffic jams.
A Central Flood Control Room will be established to assist the apex committee and will function round-the-clock in the office of the Deputy Commissioner (East), L.M. Bund, Shastri Nagar from Friday till Oct 15 or till the end of the monsoon season.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: BJP wins 82 seats in nail-biting finish, Shiv Sena 84; Uddhav, Fadnavis non-committal on alliance
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017 LIVE: BJP triumphs across state; hung verdict in BMC elections
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test