Dikshit alerts civic agencies before monsoon
New Delhi: Weeks ahead of the arrival of the monsoon in the capital, Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit Thursday asked Delhi`s civic agencies, particularly the MCD, to put "extra effort" to avoid incidents of water-logging, floods and damaged roads.
She asked the recently trifurcated Municipal Corporation of Delhi (MCD) to coordinate with each other and different public departments like Delhi Development Authority (DDA), Delhi Jal Board (DJB) and Public Works Department (PWD) to formulate a roadmap to avoid any awkward situation during the monsoon.
"All the civic agencies involved, particularly the three municipal corporations constituted after trifurcation, should coordinate with each other to avoid any conflict on jurisdiction and responsibilities this monsoon. Since assignments of flood control are challenging," said a statement from the chief minister`s office.
Dikshit chaired the Flood Control Apex Committee meeting and directed the other departments like DDA, DJB and PWD to put "extra efforts" to overcome situations of water-logging, flood and damaged roads during the monsoon.
"The road cuttings during rainy season and floods result in a lot of problems and disruptions in civic amenities, so the civic agencies are instructed not to carry out road cuttings from June 30, till the end of the monsoon season," the statement added.
Apart from this, each minister in the Delhi cabinet has been assigned to assess and review the work in their respective areas.
The Traffic Police has also been instructed to ensure that all traffic lights are working during the monsoon season to avoid traffic jams.
A Central Flood Control Room will be established to assist the apex committee and will function round-the-clock in the office of the Deputy Commissioner (East), L.M. Bund, Shastri Nagar from Friday till Oct 15 or till the end of the monsoon season.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 11-year old Odisha boy to get football training at Bayern Munich in Germany
- China warns India against deploying BrahMos cruise missile in Arunachal Pradesh
- One killed in TV channel office attack in Karachi
- Gujarat: Journalist working for local daily found dead in his Junagadh office
- Watch: How floods throw normal life out of gear across country
- Sushant Singh Rajput shares third poster of ‘M.S.Dhoni- The Untold Story’
- Triple treat for Shah Rukh Khan fans in 2017 – Details inside
- Know what Ranveer Singh has to say about Akshay Kumar
- A love story for Akshay Kumar in toilet? Details inside
- Wondering if Ranveer Singh is on board Deepika Padukone’s ‘Padmavati’? Details inside