Dikshit asks Tihar DG to submit security blueprint in a week
New Delhi: Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit on Monday reviewed the security set up in Tihar Jail and asked the prison authorities to submit a blueprint to her within a week so that steps can be taken to plug the existing loopholes in the surveillance system.
Dikshit`s directive came three days after an inmate died and three others sustained serious injuries at the high-security jail in a violent clash between two groups.
"The Chief Minister asked Tihar Director General Vimla Mehra to prepare a blueprint to strengthen the existing security system in view of certain incidents that had taken place in the jail in the last few months," said a senior official.
Dikshit issued the instruction at a high-level meeting also attended by Chief Secretary D M Spolia, Principal Secretary (Home) Arvind Ray and concerned senior officers of the Delhi Government.
Delhi gangrape accused Ram Singh was found hanging in his cell on March 11 while a 30-year-old woman inmate had allegedly committed suicide in the jail on March 14. The jail authority had come in for sharp criticism following the two alleged suicides.
Tihar jail comes under administrative control of Delhi Government.
A prison inmate had died on Friday and three sustained injuries in a violent clash between two groups. The Chief Minister has also asked Mehra to give her a report about lapses and who were responsible for these.
"Dikshit instructed Mehra to take steps to prevent such incidents. The Chief Minister made it clear that the city government would not tolerate such lapses in future," said the official.
Mehra has been asked to keep all CCTVs and mobile phone jammers functional. Dikshit also emphasised on the need to take effective measures to contain incidents of smuggling of objectionable items inside the jail.
"The authorities have also been told to keep a close eye on the activities of dreaded criminals," said the official.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Nitish suspends Cabinet Minister Kushwaha over alleged sting operation
- Watch: PM Modi delivers speech at Mumbai Metro Phase-II inauguration
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Panel discussion on the controversial sacking of Asim Ahmed Khan from AAP
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- Watch: How smartly this woman steals smartphone, walks away with it
- India vs South Africa: MS Dhoni disappointed about 'gamble' not paying off
- India vs South Africa, 1st ODI: Rohit's century in vain as Proteas snatch 5-run win
- Aarushi Talwar's grandfather breaks silence, writes open letter – Read